"Architect Designed Homes"

Niallymac

When looking through the various property supplements/websites etc, I frequently come across houses being described as an "Architect Designed Home" only to discover on investigation that the house is as plain as a pint of stout.

Surely all homes are designed by an architect ?

No. mine isnt. A lot of houses are designed by the owners, who then get an engineer to draw the plans.

I stand corrected Vanilla. Maybe when you are selling yours you can market it as an "owner designed/engineered house". Its all in the marketin you know !!!!!

I don't think it has the same cache, Niallymac! :rolleyes:

Architects can charge up to 10% of the build cost to design and supervise the construction of a house, so it does add to the cost. Plus, I 'd imagine on the whole, that architect designed one-off houses are that bit more special.

Think if I were building again, I 'd seriously consider employing an architect. And when I win the lotto ( :) ) I will definitely employ one!

Zoe Developments who were one of the biggest apartment builders (big as in large quantity, not as in spacious) in Dublin took pride in claiming that no architect was involved in some of their developments.

>Zoe Developments who were one of the biggest apartment builders (big as in large quantity, not as in spacious) in Dublin took pride in claiming that no architect was involved in some of their developments.<

and boy did it show! they really went to the limit of what tiny spaces Irish people will put up with and pay a fortune for. I do think that a lot of these are the tenements of womorrow.

Back