apt as colateral?

sloggi

Folks,
Hope ye have some advice, i currently own half a share in an apt in dublin. Am buying a house in the country and put in mortgage application on the basis that i would be bought out of the apt. Awaiting approval.

Situation has changed slightly and am looking into the possibility of not selling apt and instead going into the investment game. Earn €44500 approx and am on salary scale going up to about €55000 in 8 years. to keep things equal in apt might be better if i could use my share of apt as collaterial against house purchase, borrow at or above the price of the house (need install kitchen fireplace, investor stamp duty etc etc) and maintain apt mortgage at current rate, with increase mortgage on house payable by me. Would be getting tennant into apt. Does this sound do-able at all. there is about €100k equity in the apt, half of which is mine. would banks be willing to lend above market price (245k) of house in this case, considering that once kitchen, floors etc go into house, would raise value anyway! plus they would have the added advantage of having both my house and part of my apt in case of a default. might go for interest only mortgage for a year or so to keep a bit aside in case need to pay for months rent or other emergency! am i nieve to think that this would make for an easier run for my co-owner as would be maintaining same payment in apt and 50 50 split, would just need to get her to agree to use of apt as colaterial! would this mean she would have some share of new house?

Other option to maintain my interest in the apt would be to release equity in it as i need some money for kitchen etc but then how do you determine the proportion of ownership? also would mean increased mortgage on apt and wouldn't seem fair for co-owner to have to bear the brunt of increased cost! if increased cost applicable, would prefere to be paying in on the house i own 100% in!

Am i correct in assuming that as she will remain living in apt, investor stamp duty would only be payable on my portion of the market value?

Intend on gettong professional advice, but thought maybe somebody might give initial assessment to see if i am off my rocker, or talking sense?! any insights gladly received

I would suggest you ask your co-owner's opinion first before drawing up elaborate plans.

Thanks for that helpful insight!!! it was the co-owner who suggested that i maintain my interest in the apt and that we could release equity in it to allow me have some capital to furnish the house i am buying! As far as i am aware this would mean a remortgage on the apt? As such, in the interest of keeping things equal i suggested we maintain apt mortgage at same level as is currently at, i rent out my share, paying the applicable stamp duty claw back as only own for 3.5 years, and they try to use apt as some form of security to allow me to gain 100% mortgage on new house! Just wondering if it is possible! Hoping to have some facts as to how/if this can be done before investigating it further, obviously with my co-owner!!

Sorry, but it's just that usually co-owners will draw up a legal agreement prior to buying a property together in order to PREVENT this sort of scenario panning out. This could get really messy, both financially and personally, and I'm somewhat surprised that your co-owner suggested this route.

I could only see this working out without complications if your co-owner did the exact same thing, remortgaged and lived elsewhere, leaving the apt solely as an investment property with 2 owners.

excuse my previous sarcasim, i agree about things getting messy hence why i was going to cut ties. we didn't did set up agreement as are sisters!! but there isn't going to issue, just looking into the possibilities Suppose i was wondering if there was anything kosher about my thinking on how we might proceed and know that is a big ask on a site like this! thanks for replies howitzer

I had looked into buying with a friend many years ago and the very first thing that was agreed was that this scenario would never arise. The co-owner has agreed to buy and live with you, not some tenant who'll, quite rightly, treat the place not as a home but a rental property. Also the rental income derived should then really be split equally as it's not your room that you're renting but half the apartment. You're co-owner would still be left in the position where she's managing your investment and it's day to day running.

If your sister is quite happy to live with a tenant she should really buy you out completely and avail of the rent-a-room tax break. This would be the cleanest, and most tax efficient (I believe) route.

thanks howitzer, you confirmed my suspicions.....i mean i cant even spell collateral ;)

Back