Applying for rent allowance

paddyjnr

I share a 3 bed house with one other person for the last 4 years. The rent in total is 750euro to be raised to 850 in January.
At present I pay 350euro per month. I am due to finish up on CeE Scheme on the 13th of this month.
While reading through the application for rent allowance, it says I can only pay 250euro for accommodation which is next to impossible in this day and age.
Will they refuse my application if I come clean and tell them how much I am really paying or should I ask the Landlord could he put 250euro down. I don't like to be deceitful and dont take he might be keen on the idea either. Thanks any help I would appreciate.

Is there anybody at all can shed some light on this for me because I need too get this filled in asap, sorry to the Mod for bumping it but I'm sure there are several people had several situations.. Thanks again

AFAIK they will only pay the max and insist that you find somewhere cheaper but I'd be surprised if you could appeal. I wouldn't do the landlord approach as that may cause grief. Why not try the citizens advice first and they will tell you what you can do.
I have moved the thread to Welfare and State benifits which is more fitting to the question.

I share a 3 bed house with one other person for the last 4 years. The rent in total is 750euro to be raised to 850 in January.
At present I pay 350euro per month. I am due to finish up on CeE Scheme on the 13th of this month.
While reading through the application for rent allowance, it says I can only pay 250euro for accommodation which is next to impossible in this day and age.
Will they refuse my application if I come clean and tell them how much I am really paying

Probably, although they have some limited discretion to pay above the cap I doubt they will in this case.

or should I ask the Landlord could he put 250euro down. I don't like to be deceitful and dont take he might be keen on the idea either. Thanks any help I would appreciate.

You could try this and I am sure many people do, but if you got caught you might find yourself without any rent allowance.

There seems to be an accommodation shortage in the country at present, you are sharing a 3 bed house with one other person. Perhaps the solution is to get a 3rd person to share the rent.

If your rent exceeds the maximum limit for your family size and area, you will generally be refused rent supplement. There may be a short-term exception to allow you to find somewhere cheaper. Contact the local SWA office who deals with rent supplement in your area for more information.

Could you take in another tenant to reduce the individual rent?

Asking the landlord to falsify documents is not recommended.

(post crossed with cremeegg)

Idealy I would like to take a third person but my Housemate is set in her ways and prefers to only live with one person. I have suggested this on numerous occasions to her. So the general consensus is that I would be refused if I stated the correct amount???.

Idealy I would like to take a third person but my Housemate is set in her ways and prefers to only live with one person. I have suggested this on numerous occasions to her. So the general consensus is that I would be refused if I stated the correct amount???.

Poster Gipimann is the expert in this area on here and he didn't say that. Looks like you can get a short-term exception if you push. I'd say there are loads pushing now. It is also the case that the ceilings are 'raised' for families about to be made homeless in Dublin (not sure about other urban areas)

In relation to landlords, some will put down the wrong amount for social welfare to help their tenants out, I won't as I think it will cause an unholy mess later with different amounts on forms for social welfare and different amounts declared to revenue.

Rant: Alan Kelly, Labour and FG haven't a clue about the reality on the streets right now. If I deciced to raise my rents to market rates I'd have to evict several people.

There is a possibility of getting rent supplement in excess of the limit if your landlord increases your rent. It is done for 6 months and then extended for another 6 months.

My understanding is that it can only be accessed through Threshold

In relation to landlords, some will put down the wrong amount for social welfare to help their tenants out, I won't as I think it will cause an unholy mess later with different amounts on forms for social welfare and different amounts declared to revenue.
If I were to say my other housemate was paying 500euro and I was paying 250euro, I wonder would that work???, she is willing to say that

Yes that will probably work. As a landlord myself I wouldn't have a problem with that. As in the rent for the property is 750 to two tenants, one is paying 500 and the other 250. I wouldn't agree to it if the rent was per room though. But don't rely on me, you've got to find out for yourself.

I'm a bit confused though on how you can afford rent of 425 on the dole plus rent allowance, can you run the figures by me please.

I just realise your housemate is female, that's a whole heap of other trouble for you right there. Though in these days of equality maybe they enquire about two males together nowadays too.

I'm a bit confused though on how you can afford rent of 425 on the dole plus rent allowance, can you run the figures by me please.
well presently I pay 350euro per month, I receive 193.00 on invalidity pension so I just make ends meet with the rest. I don't drink and rarely go out although I do smoke which I will have to knock on the head. I do my shopping in Lidl which 35euros will feed me for the week.
I just realise your housemate is female, that's a whole heap of other trouble for you right there. Though in these days of equality maybe they enquire about two males together nowadays too.
I don't understand what you mean by this, we are housemates , nothing else going on. we have our own rooms.

Back