Home Apartment Problem

scaryeire

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for my query please move if it is not. We have a 5 year old apartment that has been nothing but trouble since we got it (flooded 3 times in the kitchen from a flat roof above) that the builder had fixed each time. they then went to the wall. The management company have got the flat roof above us fixed (this belongs to the property thats above us) finally.

We recently noticed a dip in the hallway of the apartment (we are above another apartment, mixed blocks of 1, 2 and 3 bed properties). We just got the flooring taken up today and the boards/structure underneath is rotten (obviuosly soaked) there has been pipes found that dont run anywhere etc, so we now need to find out what has gone wrong/where and get it fixed.

My query is, what should we do. This is clearly structural and the water is coming into our apartment from somewhere burst pipe or collapsed pipe underneath?), will this obviously be against the block insurance? and management company to sort this? what do we do next? Waiting to hear back from management company called them, didn't return call yet.

any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi scary,
As this is caused by the pipes underneath your floor, I believe it should be covered by your block insurance.

We had an issue with blocked pipes overflowing into our apartment and causing huge damage with the floor. This was all covered and repaired under our block insurance.

I have a loss adjustor and builder I could recommend that we used to represent us. You will be claiming from the management company's insurance as a third party so it is a good idea to have your own loss adjustor as they will appoint theirs.

Good luck!

If you could PM me that would be great.

One quick question were you out of pocket much? (Policy excess or any fees? Or was it all covered?)

Any insurance issue with pipes and damage to walls, ceilings, floors (the floor structure not covering) relates solely to the management company and the block insurance policy. You should notify them directly of this issue and they should deal with it. There will generally be a large excess and if varies from management company to company how this is dealt with but generally you will have to pay this amount before you can make a claim

Any floor covering damage would be covered by your contents policy. This will cover your contents only. If the floor is a timber floor skirted then you may run into problems with your contents insurer as this is generally a buildings item but again depends on your policy and weather or not you installed it.

For clarity a loss assessor (not loss adjuster) works for you if you wish to appoint one. They charge a % of the settlement value received plus VAT. They also generally have a minimum fee.

A loss adjuster is appointed by an insurance company to deal with and assess the claim on their behalf.

Thanks for that KKelliher.

I just contacted Premier Guarentee Ireland (like Homebond), to inform them of what happened. they are going to send out forms and said we need to get a structural engineer to take a look and assess send a report in with our completed forms. They will then assess the claim, but we are within 5 years for water type damage he said.

My question is do we pay the structural engineer fee (obv im guessing), do we need a loss adjustor aswell? as you say they send one out, do we get one that will then work on a % of the claim?

we have also contacted the management company on this.

Thanks for that KKelliher.

I just contacted Premier Guarentee Ireland (like Homebond), to inform them of what happened. they are going to send out forms and said we need to get a structural engineer to take a look and assess send a report in with our completed forms. They will then assess the claim, but we are within 5 years for water type damage he said.

My question is do we pay the structural engineer fee (obv im guessing), do we need a loss adjustor aswell? as you say they send one out, do we get one that will then work on a % of the claim?

we have also contacted the management company on this.

The management company should deal with this completly and appoint any engineers necessary. You should not have to personally deal with this issue. The block policy is in the name of the management company and therefore the agent should deal with it. I would be plesently suprised if you had any joy with a premier guarantee claim even though the coverage is much better than homebond

Back