Anyone tried to get PTSB's rates for new customers?

reddanmm

I was looking at the ptsb website looking at their interest rates , it says that the rate for new customers is 3.7% but it also says that the fixed rate for 5 years for customers with less than 50% ltv is 3.9% but it does not state that this rate is for new customers only . Tried ringing them but on hold for too long . Anyone have any info on this . Thanks

Yes from looking at their website it does seem that they are offering a 2 year fixed rate of 3.1% and 5 year fixed rate of 3.7% for customers who have a LTV of less than 50%. Now currently they are saying that their SVR customers (80,000 of them) have an average loan of €65,000!!!! Which means there are a heck of alot of them that would be able to avail of this fixed rate??? I am not one of the SVR customers with such a low mortgage - haha I'd have to cut about €190,000 off my mortgage to just have a LTV rate of <50%.

Thanks Kaza for the reply and apologies to brendan for posting in the wrong thread.

I borrowed 100,000 in 2010 on a 240,000 house
When i contacted ptsb to find out what my new rate would be when when i come off my current rate of 3.10% fixed for 2 years i was told it would be 5:19% or 8% fixed
naturally i was shocked and told them i would in no uncertain terms be paying those rates. I was in contact with boi about switching and they told me that i could not proceed till i had paid 2 years and 2 months of my ptsb mortgage

the 2 years are up in a couple of months but with the way ptsb keep moving the goalposts i dont know what to do . Naturally if i am offered the 5 year fixed rate i will grab it . I will ring them tomorrow and let you know how i get on

To be honest I have found it very difficult in the past to get a straight answer over the phone off them - each person seems to give a different answer. So if you get a No over the phone I would go in and speak with the branch manager and get a definite answer off them.

The way it is worded on their website is confusing - the first over all heading says Mortgage Interest Rates - New Business - so that makes me wonder is it just for new customers - but the first sub table for the SVR specifically says New Business in each of the sub headings - but the fixed rate doesn't - so makes you wonder!

Hi kaza
i agree with you it is very confusing and not clear at all. When i rang them a while back they said it was for new business and i am sure they said that they did not do the ltv anymore. .

Surely it would have being advertised or spoken about somewhere if someone had availed of it . Prob be too good to be true and just a misleading statement on their website
i will ring them anyway and see as i can't get in to the branch till next Tuesday

Just looked at the website again and at the top of the mortgage rates page it says that rates for existing mortgages may differ from rates below. I did not see that earlier . Have that changed it in the last few hours ?

Update i just got off the phone with ptsb and asked them what the rate for a ltv mortgage of less than 50% was for existing customers coming off of fixed rate

she told me it was 5.19% or 7% fixed . I said your website does not state this on the ltv piece . She said it was non negotional and even if i went in to the branch i would still be in the same position.

I told her i feel sorry for the people in Negative equity that are trapped with them but i certainly will not continue to bank with Them and will close my account as soon as i have other arrangements in place. Dont think she was bothered either way. So much for being a loyal customer . When you are treated like that.

Hopefully things might change with this bank but i can't see anything happening this year . At least i am lucky enough to be able to switch (i hope) ,those in negative equity have a long fight ahead . I will continue to email Michael noonan and anyone else i can email. That bank are a disgrace

Last edited:
Back