anyone recommend a nice red wine to have for guest over the Christmas?

T

Teabag

Can anyone recommend a nice red wine to have for guest over the Christmas. I like red wine but haven't a clue what to get. I am look for a neutral, fruity, easy to drink wine thats not overly expensive and easy to find.

There are good deals to be had on Wolf Blass Yellow Label (under E10). Good drinky cab.

Agree Wolf Blass. Also recommend Rosemount estate Shiraz(purple label) at about €10. Slightly dearer but very nice is the Rosemount Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Jacobs Creek do very reliable wines at under €9.

Although Aldi & Lidl do cheaper wines, I have never really liked them and would not produce them to a guest.

Slim 8)

Hi there,

Sangre del Toro by Torres is lovely (I think about 10 Euro per bottle) or for a fruity red Zinfandl (for example by Gallio) is very nice and easy to drink

Wine

Take a step into your local wine shop & ask the staff. The above Australians are great starter wines for the novice. You'll find that as you drink more wine that there are fantastic lesser known French wines to be had for less than 10YoYo.s O'Briens have a great selection. As far as I know they have some great offers. One in particular is a Rasteaux Cote du Villages Rhone which at 10YoYos is good enough for any so called expert. Cheap at the price & remember the best wine is the one you like...enjoy!!!!

Thanks

Thanks all. I will give some of those wines a go.

Re: Thanks

Take a step into your local wine shop & ask the staff.

I would go with Yosser's suggestion.

Furthermore, I would strongly advise buying a bottle or two of whatever NOW and trying it out with a meal, ideally chicken or turkey.

You need to be sure you like it and it works with the meal and that you are happy to serve it.

Don't buy a case of something you have never tasted.

In Dublin I find O'Briens off-licences, Oddbins, Cabot&Cabot in IFSC, and the Wine warehouse in Stillorgan all very good - staff very knowledgable. Molloys Liquour Stores are really more about beer, at least in terms of staff knowledge, in my experience.

Re: Thanks

Hi there,

There is a new place in Monkstown, Sth Co Dublin called Enowine - they have about 300 wines for sale, of which about 90 are available to taste.

You just walk in, and you only have to pay for what you taste - you get around a quarter glass of wine starting at 40cent going up to 1.50 euro depending on the cost of a full bottle.

If you are going to buy a case then talk to someone in the shop and they might bring you around and let you taste for free !

I have used it and I think it's a great concept and they have some lovely wines at very reasonable prices.

Conflict of Interest - I am not personally involved in this shop but I am close to a number of the people that are - If this post conflicts with the posting rules on advertising then I apologise unreservedly and request that a moderator remove it

efm

Back