Any Irish tax issue on ETF gains if I become non resident for tax purposes

MarathonMan

I invested in an ETF two years ago. I’m moving out of Ireland and plan to be working overseas for at least 10 years. If I keep my ETF and then decide to sell it after say 6 years do I have to worry about any issues with Irish tax system for the period it was invested while I was Irish tax resident? I know I will have to declare gains (if any) in the country I will be paying tax in at the time. Thanks in advance for any input\advice.

I invested in an ETF two years ago. I’m moving out of Ireland and plan to be working overseas for at least 10 years. If I keep my ETF and then decide to sell it after say 6 years do I have to worry about any issues with Irish tax system for the period it was invested while I was Irish tax resident? I know I will have to declare gains (if any) in the country I will be paying tax in at the time. Thanks in advance for any input\advice.
No you don't need to worry you will have no liability in Ireland.

When the time comes to return to Ireland consider whetther you should liquidate all your assets before becoming tax resident in Ireland again. This would be advantageous where the CGT in your tax resident country is lower than that of Ireland.

Do these help?

Is the ETF an Irish ETF?
Generally, Irish tax is due on any income arising in Ireland
Thanks JPD. The ETF is a Vanguard one. Domiciled in Dublin. I bought it via Degiro on one of the European exchanges. So yea, I assume it’s considered an Irish ETF.
Thanks for the links.

It isn't at all clear that you will have to pay Exit tax on a deemed disposal - the Revenue website does not give any indication of the status of ETfs. Certainly Degiro will not be reporting any deemed disposal info to Revenue

The previous replies seem clear cut - no deemed disposal and no tax for the original poster's situation. I am in a similar situation where I will become non-resident (whilst holding a DeGiro Irish-domiciled iShares ETF on a European exchange) and am trying to understand the exit tax situation whenever I sell, but am just wondering if it's a bit more nuanced?

The revenue website (https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/tax-residence/tax-tax-credits-non-residents.aspx) states that if you are non-resident, your ordinary residency and domicile will affect how you are taxed. E.g.
"If you leave Ireland and become non-resident, you continue to be ordinarily resident for three consecutive tax years.... For these three years you must pay Irish tax on your worldwide income except for:
  • income from a trade or profession, no part of which is performed in Ireland
  • income from an office or employment, where all the duties are performed outside Ireland
  • other foreign income, for example, investment income, if it is €3,810 or less. If it is more than €3,810, the full amount is taxable."

Q1: So from this it seems that as a non-resident but ordinarily resident, a gain on the sale of an ETF would be liable to the 41% exit tax (if more than €3,810)?

Beyond the third year, when you become non ordinarily resident also, it states that "you will pay Irish tax on any gains you make in Ireland".
Q2: Is the sale of an Irish-domiciled ETF whilst the unit holder is non-resident and non-ordinarily-resident deemed a gain made in Ireland and thus subject to the 41% tax?

The above guidance seems relatively clear if I am understanding it correctly, but my confusion arises from the following Revenue document on Investment Undertakings ('Tax and Duty Manual Part 27-01A-02, section 4.2.8, see here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profe...ins-tax-corporation-tax/part-27/27-01a-02.pdf) where it states that "Exit tax is not required to be deducted in respect of...non-resident investors who invest in a fund set up on or after 1 April 2000."
Q3: Is this just procedures for fund administrators, or is it stating that non-resident investors are not liable to 41% exit tax? (which seems to contradict the above)

Many thanks in advance for any clarity on any of the above questions!

Back