Another example pubs, restaurants shooting themselves down.

+1

In a way, my major gripe would be the quality - if this €16.50 fish and chips for example was superb, I wouldn't mind paying it. It's when the food/service at inflated prices is only average - or worse, poor, that it becomes a transparent backfiring joke.

Agree totally with this...I think the quality provided in many places is disgraceful. I was in Westport during the summer and had lunch in a pub in the town. Chips & a burger that was described as "dressed to the hilt" which was "dressed" with a limp lettuce leaf and soggy slice of tomato was €15.00.
Its poor quality that is the problem.

Here is one
[broken link removed]

there may have been cheaper places but my experiences of walking around and looking at prices was that they were all around this price and i was there for 3 nights.

Ashes is not really a pub so I wouldnt be surprised with that - you mentioned pub grub in your original post. Pub grub is much cheaper than those prices e.g. Murphy's, Lord Bakers does a 3 course early bird for E26, Geaney's. I rarely actually eat in restaurants when down there TBH but E30 for mains in a pub I have not seen

Back