An Post - cost of stamps today, and use of old stamps

Setanta12

How much to post bog-standard no-frills cards? I have about 30 55c stamps but some newer 60c stamps - do I have to go down to the POst office and get about 30 5c stamps (assuming cost of postage for Ireland is 60c ?)

Is it the same cost for the UK ?

So he needs 18 c of stamps, they surely don't do them in ones. He'll have to buy a 20c one x 30. Or else stick two stamps on.

Alternatively maybe you can swop them over at the post office and pay for the right stamps. I always understood stamps were equal to money.

They now digitally print stamps at the counter. So, I believe they can actually print you off stamps of any denomination. So they should be able to just print off 30 x 13c stamps from the machine. (To bring the 55c stamps up to 68c).

I was in a similar situation on Friday where I only had 60c stamps. Instead of giving me proper 8c stamps, that have a picture of a swan on them, that you have to lick and stick. They just printed off a bunch of 8c, peel and stick, type stamps with a generic Xmas image on them from the machine.

As a matter of interest they sell small denomination lick and stick stamps in values 1,2,3,4,5,8,10,15,20,25 and 50.

Progress is amazing. I have a book of oldish Irish stamps myself so this thread is very useful.

They now digitally print stamps at the counter. So, I believe they can actually print you off stamps of any denomination. So they should be able to just print off 30 x 13c stamps from the machine. (To bring the 55c stamps up to 68c).

I was in a similar situation on Friday where I only had 60c stamps. Instead of giving me proper 8c stamps, that have a picture of a swan on them, that you have to lick and stick. They just printed off a bunch of 8c, peel and stick, type stamps with a generic Xmas image on them from the machine.

As a matter of interest they sell small denomination lick and stick stamps in values 1,2,3,4,5,8,10,15,20,25 and 50.

Yep, just go into the post office and tell them what you want and they'll print them off.

The price of stamps is ridiculous though. €1.20 for a A4 size envelope.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

notwithstanding the price,
I believe we are one of the few countries without a Saturday delivery.

When the 60c price went up to 68c I had about 40 self-adhesives left from the box of 100. I went to a PO and got 40 self-adhesive 8c stamps printed off without any fuss. The philatelist in me does pine for the traditional sheets...........

Back