American Express Blue Card

I received my statement today with the cashback.
However they haven't bothered to amend the statement in any way.
It states "Remember that nearly all purchases qualify for the MoneyBack program" (sic). "Moneyback is totalled up and credited to your account every 12 months". Now it does say Terms and Conditions apply but it is surely misleading send someone a letter that says that purchases qualify for cashback when in fact no purchases whatsoever qualify for cashback.

Not much point in complaining to BOI about this. Not sure if it worth complaining to anyone else.

Complains officer in the Ombudsman's bureau has no discretion in bank policy.

If they want to charge the GSD to our account then they can even though they are not obliged to do so.

It is Bank of Ireland's 'policy' to charge their customers for their own commercial decisions and whether in this instance that is the correct, fair and proper response is their judgement call.

In this particular example, Bank of Ireland's treatment of their customers certainly doesn't display any good lessons on morals and I'm not at all comfortable with their customer care philosophy.

Surprisingly there were no other complaints.

Another broken promise from B of I!

Back in August when they sent out the letter giving advance notice of withdrawing the card they said "We will be in contact with you again in SEPTEMBER with details of alternative options from Bank of Ireland Credit Cards".

While I'm not exactly holding my breath waiting for "alternative options", they should at least do what they said they were going to do!

B of I, don't ya just love 'em!

I got my statement today - it looks like they are still giving cashback (or at least calculating it). I thought they were stopping the cashback scheme from the end of August, so I didn't put anything through the card (since there was no advantage to me and the non-chip and pin nature of the card does sometimes cause delays in the shops.

Did I mis-read the letter they sent or were they supposed to stop the cashback scheme in August ?

z

I got my statement today - it looks like they are still giving cashback (or at least calculating it).
Are you sure it's not just in respect of transactions dated before 31 August? I had two of these amounting to €110, so earned €1.10 cashback, although that wasn't deducted from my balance. But there was definitely no cashback calculated for transactions dated in September.

Oh, and the "GET MONEYBACK" (sic) message is still on the useless back page....:rolleyes:

Aha - you're right. There were some transactions dated 31AUG and some dated 02SEP and the cashback amount is calculated on the AUG ones only. Makes sense now.

z

Oh, and the "GET MONEYBACK" (sic) message is still on the useless back page....:rolleyes:

Indeed - see my 'squirrels' reference earlier in the thread.

On my account, it looks like the moneyback amount is calculated on most of the transactions, including some of the Sept ones.

The big question is how/when do I get this moneyback back? Do I deduct this €1.11 from my final payment?

Update: Just spoke to Amex, and got a strange answer. She swears that these August transactions were included in the moneyback refund given on 1st Sept, even though the transactions were not posted on that date. It seems very strange to me that they would include these transactions in one place (the moneyback amount) and but not in the transaction listing itself.

I've received another letter from Bank of Ireland, this time about alternative Bank of Ireland credit cards. It mentioned that when they close the account (next month) I'll be charged the €30 GSD for 2009/10.
Roll on.

Is the BT MC the best moneyback available at present?

I've received another letter from Bank of Ireland, this time about alternative Bank of Ireland credit cards. It mentioned that when they close the account (next month) I'll be charged the €30 GSD for 2009/10.
Roll on.

I got that letter as well. I like the way they waited so late - probably in the hope that most accounts would have been closed.

I don't get it though. You cannot use your card past the 1st of November so I guess you will get a final statement in early November that must have everything paid up. What good is €30 added to your account in December?

Roll on.

I got a letter from BOI saying that they are aware that I have another credit card with BOI and seeking authorisation to transfer any balance and a €30 GSD credit to this card. They list the account number of the other credit card. Problem is, this is the account number of an old credit card I had years ago which is cancelled many years, not the other credit card I currently have with them.

They got the a/c number wrong in my letter, too, offering to transfer the outstanding balance to my 'other' BoI credit card a/c no. XYZ (giving the no. of my old Amex a/c). :rolleyes:

But they're not going to credit you €30, they're going to add €30 to the balance of what you owe them!

I got the letter with the Freepost envelope too. Now to decide how much junk I can fit in a box with the Freepost envelope attached, to cost them the equivalent of the €30 tax they are screwing me on.

Well, anyone know what good crediting €30 to an Amex account in December will do if you cannot make purchases on the card after November?

Well, anyone know what good crediting €30 to an Amex account in December will do if you cannot make purchases on the card after November?
They're not gonna credit you with the fee - they are going to charge you!

Just had a call from a nice lady in BOI, apologising for the delay in sending out the letters with the options to switch, and encouraging me to apply for the new BOI 2-in-1 card [broken link removed] . I pushed her on the issue of the card fee, and she told me 'that is for last year', which confused me a bit. On checking the Revenue site http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html#sectionb I find that the charge is applied at the end of the current year in arrears. A cynic might think that she was deliberately trying to mislead!

Be warned...

She said she would get somebody to call me back about the fee.

I got that call as well. However, I have already torn up my Amex card so I couldn't quote my account number so she wasn't able to talk with me for security reasons.
She must have learned from you! She asked me if I had the card with me, and when I said no, she asked for the address/phone number (bizarelly (sp?), the phone number of the phone I was speaking on).

Actually, it would be very bad practice for them to ask you to give out your card number to an unsolicited caller with no caller id!

Back