Am I eligible for Back to School allowance with a post grad?

P

paulm85

Hello, I graduated from college last Summer and have been receiving jobseekers allowence since July. I would like to do a post grad course in trinity next year (starting october) and was hoping that i would be eligible for Back to education allowence but it seems that I have to be 24 (im 23 in a couple of weeks) in order to recieve it.

Other than the age thing, it seems I would be eligible so it is pretty frustrating if its just my age that rules me out of contention and due to the demanding hours i would find it near impossible to work whilst doing the post grad so it pretty much kills any hope of doing a post grad as the grant just wont cover living costs.

Does anyone know if there is any leeway regarding the age thing or is it set in stone that you have to be 24 to recieve BTEA?

Thanks in advance.

(edit-that should be back to EDUCATION allowance in the subject title)

Re: Am I eligible for Back to School allowence with a post grad?

I have no idea if there are ways around the age limit that has been imposed for postgraduate study but I presume that you are aware of the restrictions on the type of postgraduate course that would qualify you for BTEA.

The following is from the DSFA booklet;

The Postgraduate option of the BTEA Scheme is only for people who wish to take:
  • a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H. Dip.) qualification

or

• a Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary teaching).
Other postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA purposes.

Also bear in mind that you have to be on Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance for at least 12 months before you qualify.

thanks for the reply, yes i think im fine otherwise as by the time I would be applying for BTEA I would be on job seekers allowance for long enough providing I dont get a full time job til then and yes the course is a H Dip. Nontheless I think the age thing will mess it up for me.

There is no leeway in the "age thing". The scheme is aimed at encouraging people who are long term unemployed back into education as it makes sense that the age limit is not set too low.

Back