Home Am I covered by house Insurance

adw223

Would anyone have any opinion on whether either of the following two scenarios would be covered under my house insurance?

1: The timber floor in my dining / family room has warped and turned up at the edges of each board on almost all the boards, one or two at the point where they look like they’re ready to pop up. The floor is installed for nearly three years so it is unlikely to be caused because of expansion and there are no leaks or any obvious cause. Only think I can think of is that for some reason my underfloor heating overheated and warped the floor. Would this be covered?
2: Separate to the above all my windows and doors are leaking. I am in the process of taking the company who installed them to court however it looks increasingly like they are just going to fold the company and leave me stuck with leaking windows. I know my Insurance won’t cover the cost of replacing the windows but would I be covered for what I believe they call consequential damages (i.e. the water damage to the plasterboard, the cost of moving out to get the works done etc…).

Any hep or advice from somebody who can point me in the right direction where I can in some way try and recoup some of my costs.

Would anyone have any opinion on whether either of the following two scenarios would be covered under my house insurance?

1: The timber floor in my dining / family room has warped and turned up at the edges of each board on almost all the boards, one or two at the point where they look like they’re ready to pop up. The floor is installed for nearly three years so it is unlikely to be caused because of expansion and there are no leaks or any obvious cause. Only think I can think of is that for some reason my underfloor heating overheated and warped the floor. Would this be covered?
2: Separate to the above all my windows and doors are leaking. I am in the process of taking the company who installed them to court however it looks increasingly like they are just going to fold the company and leave me stuck with leaking windows. I know my Insurance won’t cover the cost of replacing the windows but would I be covered for what I believe they call consequential damages (i.e. the water damage to the plasterboard, the cost of moving out to get the works done etc…).

Any hep or advice from somebody who can point me in the right direction where I can in some way try and recoup some of my costs.

1. Without a cause then no insurable peril has operated and so would not be covered. A loss adjuster will ask you to provide a report as to the cause of the damage. If the cause of the warping is due to an insurable peril (such as escape of water) then you may be covered.

2. Unlikely to be covered - the water ingress is due to the windows being installed incorrectly. Normally your policy will have a clause relating to defective workmanship or similar.

Back