Am I claims-free?

tommygirl

Sorry for long post.
In 2009 our house was flooded. As it was a small old cottage with substantial flood damage, a dodgy roof and mould growth on mass concrete walls we knocked this house and received planning to build a new dormer house a meter higher. We moved in at the end of 2011.
We have had this house insured with our original insurer. I (stupidly) forgot about renewing our house insurance last December. It popped into my head yesterday so rang first thing this morning to have it confirmed. The company have provided a new quote (870 instead of renewal quote of 600). A costly mistake but entirely my own fault.
As there is a 14 day cooling-off period I intend to ring around on Monday to see if I can get a better quote.
How do I answer has this property ever had a flood claim? I believe I tried to get a quote in 2012 and explained the situation and underwriter would not quote. This property was constructed in 2011 and when the water was high last year (as bad as 2009) it came to 2nd step of 7 to our patio area so we have lifted ourselves well out of harms way. On the flood maps that have recently been drawn up our property is not at risk of flooding. I obviously want to be truthful but this is a new property with no history of flood damage.
Should i just accept that my mistake has cost us 300 as if I say we had flooding I wont get a quote and if I say we have not had a flood that could be challenged if we have a claim? AA online give a quote of 570.
Advice welcome.

How do I answer has this property ever had a flood claim?

With a simple yes.

If they don't specify a period of time then you are obliged to answer yes.

Some insurers may not even quote you if your area in on a flooding risk list.

Some insurers won't even quote me even though my house has a drive that rises up to it. If my house ever flooded then all around me will perish first!

How exactly is the question worded on the form? And what exactly is meant by property?

This house hasn't ever flooded. A previous building in a different location on the same site flooded.
If they consider property to refer to the entire site, then yes, it has previously flooded. If it includes only the building, then it hasn't flooded.

Thanks for the replies.
Insurance agent agreed with you and advised that it was correct to state that the property had never flooded as it is an entirely new build from the foundations up. Anyway I obviously wanted them to check with underwriters and two companies have declined to quote me due to flooding in the area as PaddyBloggit said. It looks like I am stuck with my current insurer (who I was very happy with until the large difference in price between renewal and new policy with exactly the same details showed up). Unless anyone knows a company that are willing to take us on for a reasonable price?
On the plus side I realised my mistake before something happened that I needed to claim for. Lesson to self - do not file correspondence until dealt with....

We (I'm a broker) deal with insurers that will look at this, whether they will be any cheaper would depend on your details. Does your existing insurer (the more expensive one) know all the facts of your case? Just the fact that it was a renewal has little baring on your need to disclose any material facts?

They are our original insurer that we made the flood claim against in 2009 so they are aware of all the circumstances. We have been insured with them again since our new house was completed 2011 and paid on time and in full every year except this one. Their renewal price was €610 and a month later their price for a new policy was €870 with all details exactly the same.
Might pm you some details if you would be willing to provide a quote.
Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
Insurance agent agreed with you and advised that it was correct to state that the property had never flooded as it is an entirely new build from the foundations up. Anyway I obviously wanted them to check with underwriters and two companies have declined to quote me due to flooding in the area as PaddyBloggit said. It looks like I am stuck with my current insurer (who I was very happy with until the large difference in price between renewal and new policy with exactly the same details showed up). Unless anyone knows a company that are willing to take us on for a reasonable price?
On the plus side I realised my mistake before something happened that I needed to claim for. Lesson to self - do not file correspondence until dealt with....

Just three observations.

Be very careful about the exact wording of any flooding question. Look at this question from one insurer about the proposed property "Is not located in an area particularly prone to damage by storm, flood, subsidence, heave or landslip".

Be aware of the general duty to disclose material facts. This arises from the fact that insurance contracts are written uberrima fides. Fall foul of this and you may create a load of trouble if you have a claim and if looking for insurance in the future.

Be aware that you will probably have to declare any refusals of cover / refusal to quote from other insurers if looking for a quote as this is a material fact. I think that the same might apply with renewal as the duty of disclosure generally revives at renewal.

Last edited:
Back