Laya Alternatives to Laya Flex 500 Explore,now that they have dropped the Mater and Blackrock

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I have the Laya Flex 500 Explore because I want
1) Low premium
2) Cover for the Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private
3) The highest possible excess
4) No cover for everyday medical expenses

They dropped the Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private from the policy, so it seems to me that the closest available is the Control 600 Connect from Laya.

It is a little bit more expensive and it has a slightly higher excess.

But is there anything else I am missing?

Brendan

upload_2018-1-25_12-31-41.png

I went for the same, for the same reasons, I think Snowyb may have suggested that cover and that's good enough for me.

I rang Laya about this to clarify some issues before renewing.

With new conditions, I am covered by the Control 600.

With existing conditions, I am covered by the Flex 500 Explore rules for two years, if I understand it correctly. So if I am admitted to the Blackrock Clinic, I pay an excess of €500 per admission, rather than €600.

The Control 600 also covers outpatient fees in excess of €450 per year. So if I go to Blackrock Clinic A&E, see my doctor a few times and visit a consultant and get an Xray - I might end up getting something back.

upload_2018-1-29_10-30-34.png

I have no idea how the €20 per visit interacts with the excess. I don't know if the excess is €150 or €450.

Brendan

Just a thought Brendan and I'm no expert but the fact that the Flex 500 rules now exclude Blackrock for existing conditions is it not the case that it will be 2 years before you can utilize the Control 600 Connect option to use Blackrock? Therefore Blackrock not covered at all for 2 years as you are in practice 'upgrading Cover'. I suppose that depends if Blackrock was only dropped from your renewal date?

Hi VoR

My understanding is as follows:

The general principle is that upgrades don't apply to existing conditions.

So if my Control 600 is considered an upgrade, I continue with the cover from the Flex 500 policy. But it's my pre-renewal Flex 500 policy and not the new cover.

Brendan

HI Brendan
I am on the flex 500 as well and I see the Beacon is still covered by that. Is there any reason that you want the Mater and Blackrock? Isn't the Beacon good enough to cover whatever happens?

Good point. From speaking to people, the Mater Private seems to be leading the field in a number of areas.

But if you are living in Galway, you would make do with the private hospitals in Galway and be treated very well.

Brendan

Back