VHI Alternative to VHI Health Access

AmberFire

I am reviewing my parents (age 70+) health insurance which is up for renewal this week. They have been insured with VHI most of their adult lives previously on Plan B and more recently on Health Access. Last year my Dad had extensive cardiac surgeries so cardiac cover is important however there is no indication of needing future treatment he will be at least monitored by cardiac consultants going forward. Most of his treatment was covered by VHI and the Mater Private did not invoice the 10% shortfall in cover. He has however paid many €125 treatment excesses and consultant fees thoughout the year so a lower treatment excess would be good. My parents do not want to drop their current level of cover in any way. The cost of the Health Access cover has increased but the price is not necessarily an issue they just want to know if they are getting value for money.

From my research here and on HIA I think Laya offers better value for money. I spoke to Laya at the last renewal however my dad was mid treatment so didn't want to change. Laya on the phone recommended Laya Flex 175 Plus and from this site I looked at Laya Simplicity, both are cheaper plans which seem to offer greater cover. I am nervous of making this decision on their behalf.

Just wondering if anyone could provide some input:
Am I correct that both Laya plans off greater cover?
Would there be any possible drops on cover in certain aspects which I am overlooking?
The Laya Plans have a shortfall per night in Hi Tech hospitals for non cardiac/ortho, it is hard to compare this to VHI 45/55% shortfall however I assume for the majority of cases the overnight excess would be less. Would that be correct?

Any other considerations I am maybe missing??

I would be open to considering more expensive Laya plans and have looked at Flex 125 and Complete Simplicity however there did not seem to be much greater cover over the basic Simplicity plan.

Sorry that post was longer than expected!! I appreciate any input anyone can give.

Thank you

Back