AIB Online Notice Deposit 7

What instructions did you give them on opening the regular saver account regarding interest payments and where they should go?

Interest was kept within the Regular Saver, but obviously the balance was not adjusted on a daily basis. Can't really remember their T&Cs from when the account was opened, so will have to check back.

Interest was kept within the Regular Saver, but obviously the balance was not adjusted on a daily basis. Can't really remember their T&Cs from when the account was opened, so will have to check back.

Interest should be paid in April for regular saver

dropped into the local AIB yesterday to open an account. The sales assistant wanted me to open a current account but I told him (as per the earlier advice on this thread) that I wanted a demand deposit account as the feeder account. He consulted with his colleague to confirm that this was OK. He seemed surprised. Anyway with the usual ID (passport - I noticed that he transcribed the passport number incorrectly - and proof of address < 3 month old bill with address) he opened that account for me, gave me the new sort code/account number, registered me for online banking and told me that once I got the stuff in the post I could log on and then create the online 7 day notice account myself. He did not ask for any lodgement to be made there and then. Maybe it depends on the branch or your circumstances or something...?

I went through the same current account dodging obstacle... really had to stand my ground(tactfully of course). I advise people who are going to do the same flightplan to grab one of their online notice 7 day deposit brocheres and be ready to point out where it says you can use a demand deposit account.

As for handling the online banking aspect of the setup. Based on the feedback here I'm of the opinion that its easier to handle it yourself online or via the phone(just need the account S/C and no.). Via phone once done they'll immediately send out the stuff.. and online you can submit the bulk of the details(less chance of human error bar yourself).

Ah - your man wasn't really giving any hard sell or anything. He just thought that the current account was the only feeder account option until I insisted and his colleague confirmed that I was correct. He did ask me again when we were finished if I wanted info about their current account but I made my excuses and left.

I moved everything from my Regular Saver to my new Online Notice Deposit account as soon as it was created last week. I then wrote to AIB to note closure of the Regular Saver and asked about the interest due. They confirmed the interest was credited to my Current account, since they cannot deposit into an online-only account. Then transferred interest myself from Current to Online Notice account via internet banking.

I must say, I think this is a god send! I was just on boards.ie on a thread about getting €20 for creating an account with Rabo and I saw the interest rates and thought "Damn, I was just complaining yesterday about deposit rates being less than inflation"! Then I checked out itsyourmoney.ie and saw that First Active seemed like the best. I got put off by all the documents needed like bills seeing as I'm still a student living at home, and was wishing it could be much easier.
I decided to check out here as I knew I'd get much more info on the rates offered, and then I spotted that AIB have a rate better than Rabo, itsyourmoney.ie never mentioned that! I've got a student current account with them already (no charges), online banking etc. and I even recently decided not to add any more to it because it was getting too big and I felt I was missing out on interest. (I only work over the summer so a regular savings account wouldn't suit).

Set it up just there, no hassle. I even felt less guilty about being lazy as this is just a new product so it's not like I was missing out on it. I really should set up a First Active account though, my savings elsewhere are being eaten away (I should set one up anyway seeing as the rate is better, I know most here are going with this because they've already got €15,000 in First Active).

Thanks a lot for this!

just opened one up too online...30 seconds and its there available

I think for 20k you're better off with Rabo but if you're like me who just blew most of his savings on a new car and has just less than 10k, then this is better

Northern Rock are now offering 5% gross CAR (annual) for any amount over €1K.

See [broken link removed].
You can avail of our great interest rates of 5.00% AER variable on all balances up to EUR10,000, and 3.50% AER variable on savings amounts from EUR10,001 - EUR100,000. You can save instantly, easily and securely at any time, online.
As ever it's not clear of 3.50% applies to the excess over €10K or to the full balance. As such it might make sense to lodge less than €10K and then withdraw the interest to avoid breaching the €10K limit and thus earning less interest overall.

Just looking at my AIB online banking window and wondering how to find the ‘Notice to Withdraw’ window. Will it pop open when I try to transfer money to another account. Or how will I get into it?

Fanny

No - you see it sooner than that. I can't remember when/where precisely but it was pretty obvious last time I looked.

Just looking at my AIB online banking window and wondering how to find the ‘Notice to Withdraw’ window. Will it pop open when I try to transfer money to another account. Or how will I get into it?

Fanny

Just Click on "savings" on the left had side of page

Hi guys,
Just transferred 10K into that account. Was so very simple to do! Thanx for all the advice on here.

M

Hi guys,
Just transferred 10K into that account. Was so very simple to do! Thanx for all the advice on here.

M
You might want to note this:
See [broken link removed].

As ever it's not clear of 3.50% applies to the excess over €10K or to the full balance. As such it might make sense to lodge less than €10K and then withdraw the interest to avoid breaching the €10K limit and thus earning less interest overall.

Looking at Clubmans quote above of 5th from the AIB website and assurances from my local AIB branch I am satisfied the ''5% applies to all balances up to 10K and 3.50% applies to amounts from €10,001 to €100,000.''

Back