AIB Online Notice Deposit 7

mollser

I notice a new offering from AIB, may be interesting...

AIB today announced a new lump sum online deposit account.

The 'Online Notice Deposit 7 Account' offers the bank's customers up to 5.00pc AER and is available through AIB Internet banking. It said this latest offering complements the bank's existing 'Online Personal Savings Plan', which is geared towards the regular monthly saver.
Both of these online accounts offer an alternative to customers who prefer to do their banking online instead of through their local branch, it said. Hugh O'Keeffe, head of resources strategy and products, AIB, said, "Our new 'Online 7-day Notice Deposit Account' puts customers in control of their money giving them the convenience of operating their account completely through AIB Internet Banking.

[broken link removed]

Can't find out anymore info about it yet, its not on their website or through online banking just yet.

Re: AIB e-savings account - 7 day notice

Thanks for pointing this out. More in [broken link removed]. When it is available, I'll add it to the Best Buys.

Hmmm. The 5% is only offered on deposits up to 10k. Additional sums up to 100k will earn 3.5%, according to the press release.

Yes, I didn't say it would be at the top of the best buys :) It's also not clear whether the reduced rate applies to the whole balance, or just the excess. Still, nice to see more competition around the 5% mark, which is now the lowest interest rate any of my savings are getting.

Yes, looks like we'll be having the same merry-go-round as we did with FA - as to whether the 3.5% applies to the whole balance where the balance exceeds €10k ;)

By by Rabo! (unless they hold their 5% rate after Christmas)

I'd almost bet money Rabo won't be offering 5% in the New Year.

More like 5.3% I'd guess.

Yes, looks like we'll be having the same merry-go-round as we did with FA - as to whether the 3.5% applies to the whole balance where the balance exceeds €10k
No, for a change it's quite clear on the link given above:

5.00% AER for sums up to EUR10,000.
3.50% AER for sums between EUR10,001 and EUR100,000.

No, for a change it's quite clear on the link given above:

"For sums" could be taken to mean the whole balance.

3.50% AER on the remainder between EUR10,001 and EUR100,000 would be clearer.

In fact I think "for sums" does mean the whole balance, as with FA. But I'm not certain!

Had a look at the press release but couldn't see when they were intending on offering this account and how exactly to open one.

Does anyone know when the account is available from?

Don't try and make it more difficult!!! It's as clear as day. Notice the key words up to and between:

To SPELL it out for you:

Deposit 1.00 - 10,000.99 and you will get 5%
Deposit 10,001.00 - 100,000.00 you will get 3.5%
Example 1: Deposit 15,000.00 and you will get 5% on the 10,000.99 and 3.5% on the remainder. I'll work that out for you. It's 4,999.01
That is to say 5% on 10,000.99 and 3.5% on 4,999.01
Example 2: Deposit 9,000.00 and you will get 5%. Deposit another 500 (that comes to 9,500) and you will get 5%. Deposit another 400 (that comes to 9,900) and you will get 5%. Deposit 50 (that comes to 9,950) and you get 5%. Deposit 100 and you get 5% on 10,000.99 and 3.5% on the remainder which is 49.01

No confusion. If there is, you need to go back to school methinks.

Following the OP's point though, I still don't see anything on their website about the new account...

Don't try and make it more difficult!!! It's as clear as day. Notice the key words up to and between:

No confusion. If there is, you need to go back to school methinks.
I haven't been through the AIB info on this, but if you're explanation is coming from the above information, you're making assumptions.

If I deposit a sum of €9'000, I have deposited a sum up to €10'000. I recieve 5.00% clear as day.

If I deposit €15'000, I have deposited a sum between €10'001 and €100'000 and from the above (limited) information it can have two results:

Your understanding: 5.00% up to €10'000 and 3.5 on the remainder

OR

3.50% on the total.

Nowhere does it state that sums over the €10'000 figure recieve a combination of the two rates.

[Logic would suggest that the lower amount would still recieve the higher %, but it isn't clearly spelt out as you suggest. Personally, I'd assume this is what AIB mean, but it's not what they have stated in the rates detailed above. You're inferring something which isn't explicitly stated.]

Reading Comprehension 101

you get 5% on 10,000.99

Can you point to the part of the press release you base the above on?

I still don't see anything on their website about the new account...
AIB usually announce changes and new accounts a few days before they update their consumer website.

I expect applications will be through AIB internet banking, as with the Online PSP.

I'd guess it will all be live by Friday.

I got a call yesterday from AIB's Customer Service team (they ring every few months asking if they can do anything for me or if there are any problems - all very positive I have to say). Anyway, the new 7 day account should be available using internet banking in a couple of weeks. December 13 I think he said. I'd say the IT people are still working on it!

Gillers

I got a call yesterday from AIB's Customer Service team (they ring every few months asking if they can do anything for me or if there are any problems
UB used to do this with me until I asked them not to call me again. I found it quite irritating to be honest.

Thanks Gillers. Press Release is rather misleading then. I have a designated account manager in AIB, but I think she's given up trying to sell me products :)

Back