AIB change Conditions for Free Banking

I have an AIB current account that I rarely use with small cash balance in it. If I don't use the account in the quarter, will I still be charged the €4 quarterly charge? I can't see any exemption anywhere so am thinking yes. I was exempt up until recently because it was still graduate account.

Officially speaking, yes you will be charged.

However, I have read here before that if there are zero transactions and a static balance for the quarter then you are not charged the ´maintenance fee´.

Might be best to check with AIB or just close the account.

Has anyone received a letter informing them of the charges that apply from next week?

Are AIB able to change fees without writing to all effected customers?

A bank is not obliged to send out letters advising of new fees - they must put an ad in the national press at least two months in advance of the new fees applying

Has anyone closed their account? I'm going to close mine tomorrow by sending a registered letter. I know I left it late but I had to use my AIB credit card to pay my car insurance and then clear it.

My gf closed her acount and was told she'd have to pay an admin fee. I have €0 balance in my current account and €30 in my AIB visa card. I was going to cancel both tomorrow.

Anyway, I can't find anything in their T&Cs about an admin fee to close the account. I have met their criteria for free banking for this quarter.

I changed my current account to UB from AIB and it was relatively easy. A few glitches with the new Visa Debit card from UB not being activated properly and the activation code for UB online banking not being sent. All sorted now though.

However, I still have three other accounts with AIB - one online 7 day notice account and two savings accounts. I rang AIB yesterday regarding accessing the online 7 day notice account and was informed that the funds from this account can only be paid into an AIB current account (which I no longer have as it's closed!!!).

I was advised to go and open a current account with AIB, transfer the funds and then close it. Just a heads up for people who may have an online 7 day notice account with AIB. Transfer these funds into your AIB current account before you close it.

I do remember AIB having a closing fee in the past.

They may insist you attend in person to close.

I made the switch, relatively little hassle though it did take some time. I also closed my savings account as UlsterBank is offering one with a better rate and better conditions anyway. Had to attend in person to close the savings accounts but not the current account. A really small fee was debited from the current account.

Only major problem is I now cannot access my AIB visa account online, I'm told I can re-register for that but not bothering since I'm going to switch to an UlsterBank card too.

A rememinder that today is the last working day with free fees for AIB current account holders (unless you keep €2500 in it continuosly for the 1/4).
I'm doing as many online payments today as I can!
I'll hopefully have a BOI account soon to avoid fees.

Don't forget, today is the last day that you can close your account to avoid the charges (unless you have a spare 2.5k sitting in your account).

You need to bring in a signed letter to your bank stating that you want your account closed.

I closed mine yesterday and didn't have to pay anything. I think that's because I had met their criteria for the free banking for this quarter.

My current account has already disappeared from my online banking.

How much will they charge if I needed to get statements for the last few months?

Joe, you got in there just before me :)

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I thought I was editing my previous message.

Just closed my account. Didn't bring a signed letter - just my ATM card and drivers licence.

They charged my 11.70 but, in looking at past statements, this is my average fees per quarter (I wasn't even aware they'd started charging me).

I have an NIB account which is moving to a 'with-fees' account soon too. However, I'm keeping this open as I have an LTV Tracker and there's a lot of confusion about the terms of it at the moment.

Ah well, I don't mind paying fees on ONE account.

They gave me the remaining cash after deducting the 11.70 and it's marked in my online banking with a comment "To Close".

Does anybody know if these, or any fees will be applied to Graduate Accounts or Student Accounts? previously these have been completely fee free

I called AIB to ask this. But instead of answering my question, they started to question my entitlement to have a Graduate Account...

Does anybody know if these, or any fees will be applied to Graduate Accounts or Student Accounts? previously these have been completely fee free

I called AIB to ask this. But instead of answering my question, they started to question my entitlement to have a Graduate Account...

There are still no charges for 12-18 year old accounts, student accounts, graduate accounts and 60+ year old accounts.

You are only entitled to a graduate account for a short period after graduation.

AIB current account Quarter Fee €33

Just got a letter from AIB showing my current account fees for the quarter is over €33.

I'm going to look at changing my bank.

Has anyone else got high charges like this?

Threads merged.

Just got a letter from AIB showing my current account fees for the quarter is over €33.

I'm going to look at changing my bank.

Has anyone else got high charges like this?

This is the new AIB quarterly fee charge.

Have a look at the best buys if you want to avoid charges. Ulster Bank will not change for day-to-day banking until at least July 2013.

This is the new AIB quarterly fee charge.

Have a look at the best buys if you want to avoid charges. Ulster Bank will not change for day-to-day banking until at least July 2013.

Looking at the sticky now it's very helpful, thanks.

Back