AH - Why did you NOT buy what you were offered?

Ring them and let us know how you get on. This is the biggest purchase of your life and something that you could be repaying for 25-30 years of your life. You need to get tough and take a position on this.
If they laugh at you on the phone then they are the bigger joke. Their is only one way Belmaynes prices are going and thats down

i was offered a 1 bed apartment in clongriffin, then when i googled it i read all the hold ups re dart station, "the park", "anti social behaviour"
so i think its best to turn it down. however i feel gutted cos i want an apartment NOW. why i could not be offered herberton, or kilmanham square or hsq?? please

HI Girl28, i actually am living in Clongriffin about a year and a half now, got a 2bed through AH with DCC. There is delays with the dart station deffinitely, it will be in place in Spring of next year, so it is a bit off, but work has started on it.The park is very much on the go at the moment, alot of work happening, its not due to be open for a good while though. there is no delays on it though, this was always the case. Regarding Anti Social behaviour, there was anti social behaviour alright about 3-4 months back, this has completely ceased due to the strong community spirit in clongriffin and the estate came together and formed its own residence committee, plus they got the local TD's involved, the builders plus the Council and the local gardai station to make sure the issue was nipped in the budd!! This has worked and we are no longer experiencing any anti social behavior. Also, this behaviour was actually from outside the estate and not from people living in the estate. The estate is very quiet and a nice peaceful area. Plus we have a bus route of the 128 which goes right from clongriffin sq to town, through the malahide road, it only takes 40 mins to get to stephens green....
oh and also, we just got a new Large pharmacy and office licence which opened their doors last week, plus we have a chinese take away which food is lovely.

We refused an apartment in Citywest about a year ago, not where I want to live without meaning to sound picky. Also didn't go with Beacon with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CC, quite small, overpriced and would not be confident about the development holding its own long term. Now considering another offer from them, but at €350k its not quite affordable at all and the way the market is heading may make sense for some to hold out and buy a house on open market a few years down the line. Thankfully for all us FTB's, affordable housing may no longer be the only option available to us.

Also, great idea for thread, its nice to see others who are not automatically accepting what they're offered. gone are the days where you'd bite the councils hand off with such offers!

Originally posted by Monos: Also, great idea for thread

A spur of the moment thing due to boiling over of emotions over my own circumstances! Have cooled down now and have actually sent a letter to the housing officer asking for a meeting to clarify a timetable if possible. I still like where I was offered, but the lack of info on progress was doing my head in!

I am guessing many posters here are having doubts over AH due to the falling open market. For those still going ahead I think the key is haggling over the clawback. It should be reduced due ridiculous overvaluations during the boom time.

Interesting debate going on over in the boards.ie Accommodation & Property section over whether AH may fizzle out. Here's the link if you want to pop over and have a look: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055328347

Hi Cheeus, Where did you end up buying? Where you happy with the market value?
Thanks

We refused an apartment in Citywest about a year ago, not where I want to live without meaning to sound picky. Also didn't go with Beacon with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CC, quite small, overpriced and would not be confident about the development holding its own long term. Now considering another offer from them, but at €350k its not quite affordable at all and the way the market is heading may make sense for some to hold out and buy a house on open market a few years down the line. Thankfully for all us FTB's, affordable housing may no longer be the only option available to us.

Hi Monos,
Can I ask, where was the apt DLRCOCO offered you for 350k?
Thanks

Hi Cheeus, Where did you end up buying? Where you happy with the market value?
Thanks

Hi Kites

Buying in Parkview Stepaside hopefully, just waiting for final sign off on mortgage. Market value is about in line now with what they are selling for new on the open market. Could get an apt cheaper in Stepaside second hand, but we still couldn't afford that on the open market - it would still be about 80k over my budget. I love the particular apt we've been offered. Really bright, quiet, just about big enough and probably my preferred location even if buying privately :)

Still won't believe it 'til I'm in though.

I see you were offered Harbour View. A friend has viewed there and really liked it. I saw them today just from outside. Great location beside dart station. Good luck with decision making!

Seems to me some people on here really want it all. I bought an apartment through AH and I just wanted somewhere I could live and afford. If you have all these boxes to tick why are you even applying for AH?

Things have changed a lot in the last 18 months since I applied. I would not apply in the current climate as other open market options are becoming more and more viable. Thankfully affordable housing is no longer the be all and end all for young people to get homes, and this will become more the case as time passes.

I've been offered another apartment this time in Thomas Davis Street, its a 2bed for 230K. I have just been looking of Daft.ie and there is a 2bed apartment in the same area for 240K..... I really am starting to doubt the AH now as i think i would be as well off buying privatly and then not having to worry about claw backs etc.... Had i been offered it when i originally applied i would have jumped at the chance to get a 2bed apartment close to town at that price!!

Went to see one with a friend and it wasn't great location.
Second one nice - although closing taking some time now and this is good as has given plenty of thinking time. Also rates are going up and up, poor trackers are offered, but at least there will be the option to switch - to another AF lender.

My only fear is if the apt for 220 valued at 300 for example goes for only 240 in 7 years time, for example when you want to move if circumstances change. You get out at 220 but you lose the value of everything you put into the place - all floors and furnishings. What if you add on a conservatory - because of clawback I believe you will actually lose any added value you put onto the house.

Any thoughts?

Back