agricultural commodities fund

farmerette

hi there , i think agriculture is one of the few safe bets around and all signs are that food commodities are to remain strong , problem is , its very difficult to invest in agricultural commodities alone , most commodity funds have a maximum 30% exposure to agriculture with the rest made up of energy stocks and prescious metals

im aware of the jim rogers agriculture fund but have no idea how to get into it , powershares db agriculture is an etf but i dont know how to buy it , its on the nyse yet when i try and locate it on my goodbodys account , nothing comes up

Try asking Goodbodys or failing that try another broker

Try asking Goodbodys or failing that try another broker

goodbodies only provide advisory services to big investors , anyways i found a fund i like

robeco agribusiness equities fund which is accessed through rabbo direct , it has a 63% exposure to food prodcuts with the rest made of chemicals

[broken link removed] I'ts been one of the best performing of my basket(case) of funds over the past 18 months or so, up 25%

and do you like the robeco agribusiness equities fund specifically or have your a broad based investment with robeco , i think the outlook is good for farm produce but from experience , theese funds can be very up and down , i was in an irish life fund a few years ago and most of my money was in commodities , this was during a strong period for soft commodities yet the fund done nothing , i assume it was just very poorly managed , robeco dont score all that high with the morning star , less than 3 stars , is this relevant , is it a case of robeco simply being one of the less recognised fund managers unlike jpm or goldman sachs etc

sorry , relativley inexperienced investor

hey markowwitzman , cant quote your post as i havent enough posts made to include links

anyway , thanks for that link , that looks exactly like what im looking for , forgive my ignorance but is market vectors agribusiness what you would call an etf or is it simply a stock , im not yet up to date on the terminology of trading

ps , can you trade market vectors agribusiness via an online only goodbodys account

thanks again

[broken link removed] I'ts been one of the best performing of my basket(case) of funds over the past 18 months or so, up 25%

anywhere i get up to date info on how that fund is doing

also , if i were to buy into that fund via rabbodirect , in the event ireland had to leave the euro , would the value of my robeco agribusiness equities fund devalue in tandem with our new currency

Like i said earlier I bought into this fund 18months ago, At the moment its up 25%
If you open the link and check out the related links on rhs of page, it gives a factsheet on performance and a simplified prospectus. [broken link removed]

Like i said earlier I bought into this fund 18months ago, At the moment its up 25%
If you open the link and check out the related links on rhs of page, it gives a factsheet on performance and a simplified prospectus. [broken link removed]

yes but its well down this past few days , i checked out the robeco website , check out equity themes

[broken link removed]

as regards a fund devaluing in the event of ireland exiting the euro

do you know of any other banks - who are brokering that robeco fund

sorry , that fund is based in luxembourg so it has to be euro based , do you know of any agri equity funds which are dollar based

Hold for one second to think. On reading the fund factsheet, there is an entry fee of 0.75 %, a Management fee of 1.5% and an exit fee of 0.75 %. The full TER figures are not stated but could easily be in excess of 2.25% IMO, very very hefty fees compared to a normal ETF. Check the performance and charging structures of other ETFs before you invest.

And as already and always mentioned 'DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH'

sorry , that fund is based in luxembourg so it has to be euro based , do you know of any agri equity funds which are dollar based

Have a look at iShares to seek a fund in another currency you prefer

This is in line with the markets. It is virtually impossible to beat the market.

we are regulary told that commodities buck the trend in times like this , i know theese are equities but they are based on agri commodities

Surely it does not matter whether the fund is dollar or euro based. The final value will be dependent on the performance of the commodities in the fund.

Unless I'm missing something, the only impact of the currency is to add a FX transaction that you must pass through on your way into and out of the investment.

For example if at start; €1 = $1 = 1 unit of the commodity fund
Assuming after 1year the dollar has collapsed in value to 50%, euro stays steady as does the commodity value.
Now €1 = $2 = 1 unit of the fund

After you sell your fund and convert the money back into Euro you will still have the same amount of money (less any fees/charges)

Back