affordable housing and long term lease

hgf

Hi all,
Has anyone had any experience giving their affordable home to the council to rent out on a long term lease? Fingal county council have given me this as an option in the long term, if I fit certain criteria which it seems I do. They have said I can do it up to 2 years, for 5 years or for 10 years plus. I was just hoping someone out there has done this and can offer advice about how easy/difficult the council were to deal with, and whether they got a decent offer of rent from the council in comparison to renting it out privately?
Thanks

my sister in law is currently renting to DCC. she is getting €1200 p/month current market rate is probably €1400. they have found the council great to deal with. tenants do expect a lot, they requested bunk beds and a single in middle room that had to be purchased when there was a double already in there. overall they have had a great experience and have been renting to council for 5 years. you do not get a choice about the tenants though, it could be a single mother with one child or a family with 5 kids. council will expect walls to be freshly painted and have a few other H&S requirements that aren't necessary when renting privately.

my sister in law is currently renting to DCC. she is getting €1200 p/month current market rate is probably €1400. they have found the council great to deal with. tenants do expect a lot, they requested bunk beds and a single in middle room that had to be purchased when there was a double already in there. overall they have had a great experience and have been renting to council for 5 years. you do not get a choice about the tenants though, it could be a single mother with one child or a family with 5 kids. council will expect walls to be freshly painted and have a few other H&S requirements that aren't necessary when renting privately.

Would I be correct in saying the Council, as part of the agreement on these type of leases, will give the house back to the owner in the same condition as it was given? If so, it's a great deal with peace of mind for the owner and guaranteed rent payment

Hi everyone,
I too am considering this option of LTL with the DCC.
I was wondering at the end of the lease - what happens if the tennants do not wish to leave, will the landlord be left with the problem - just a concern I have at the moment.
Also if anyone could recommend a solicitor who is used to dealing with DCC on the long term lease I would really appreciate it - pm me if you wish.
Thanks,
Ken

Was your sister in law's house originally purchased as an affordable home Clara?

Back