Advise on Redundancy Lump Sum

Nick1911

I am hoping to get approx. €50k in a redundancy payment soon. My options are -

1. Put this in as a lump sum on mortgage and service mortgage with dole. & then live off wife's salary

or

2. Use the €50K as a cushion and use some of this to service the mortgage.

What makes more sense?

Nick J.

on the basis that you might be out of work for some time, and given that the interest rates are so low at the moment, I would be slow to pay a lump off the mortgage. Particularly as your borrowing power is reduced while you are unemployed. Holding on to it means that you have access to money in case of an emergency, which is gone if you pay it off mortgage. there are some good deals on lump sums on deposit at the moment - although I would also be reluctant to tie up all your funds - try to find one that gives you access to your funds if required. some of these might offer a monthly income too which would help with the monthly repayments. It all depends on your monthly outgoings and how close your income goes to meeting them. dont forget that the mortgage is the cheapest money that you will borrow - so in my opinion it would not make sense to reduce it and then find yourself needing to borrow at a later stage, perhaps at a higher rate.

hi all. a quick question for you. im an industrial electrician based in dublin. iv being on temporary leave from work since january. the job that i was earmarked for has fallen through due to lack of funds and i was told this morning that i was being made redundant and they would be in touch again. i started my apprentiship with them in 2004 and am fully qualified now. im with them now just over five years. can any body tell me what i could be entitled to. is it only two weeks pay for every year served or would i be entitled to more. the company still has work going on in other places.

please advise. regards stephen

Back