Advice please on good family areas in Cork?

Well we were over a couple of weeks ago and I stopped off at all the places I mentioned. The areas I am most keen on is Douglas and Ballincollig. They seem to tick all the right boxes in terms of amenties etc. Also is all of Douglas as an area ok? Are there any parts I should avoid? Does anyone have details of the schools in Douglas? I am keen to get the ball rolling and get my son registered with a school.

there are many parts of Douglas - and most are not really Douglas at all!
Frankfield / Grange / Donnybrook / Maryborough Hill / Garryduff etc all share the title Douglas. areas of the first 3 can be identified as dodgy and MaryB has a high % of houses rented which might put people off.
I live in one of the aforementioned areas and love it - absolutely no complaints, traffic is busy but that just means there are plenty of services to avail of- especially if you have children.

Are you interested in any of the areas closer to the centre at all? Ballinlough, Boreenmanna road, Douglas road, south Douglas road are areas I would consider. No shortage of schools, all within walking distance. Sports clubs are there. You are closer to the city centre and would commute in the opposite direction to the heavy traffic most of the time. Thats what I find anyway. Ballinlough is a very quiet area, excellent for kids I think.

Ballinlough is a very quiet area, excellent for kids I think.
I second that - and at this moment in time you could get a great deal on a house there - it was my first choice but was just too expensive compared to where i settled in Douglas. times change, sigh...

Have you considered city neighbourhoods?

Sundays Well and St.Lukes as examples are great. Schools, amenities and the village feel are available in both areas. Crime and rented accommodation are an issue of course, but lets face it, the suburbs are no different (drugs etc.).

I know that its mainly the medical and legal profession that are buying and refurbing in these areas and people will tell you the areas are too expensive but there are three and four beds around with gardens and parking. On street parking is a ten quid a year if not.There is also great bang for your buck. Property profiles are older and larger which has not been considered attractive in recent times in Cork.

With a good surveyor you could pick up a nice recently refurbed house with plenty of potential to convert to emerging energy sources over the next decade or so (if required). These houses have the space and flexability to be greener than recently built houses in Ireland.

Have a look around!

I would echo the above. Once the kids are teenagers, living within walking distance of the city centre is a godsend. And the communities in St Lukes, Sundays Well etc are brilliant. Plus you have the city on your doorstep.

You say your son is ten and obviously into mainly sports, why not try one of the towns within 30-45 minute drive to the city that will still have all the amenities within a few minutes but you can still enjoy 'living in the country', Bandon,Innishannon, Clonakilty. I live in a beautiful area near a lake, river and 1/2 hour from the beach, fantastic views and within 30 minutes to cork city. 'Terelton Macroom Co. Cork' The best thing is the school is across the road from our houses (16 in our estate) Ok its 15 minutes to the nearest big supermarket but there is a shop/pub/hairdresser a one minute walk away! There are also 2 notices in the shop or 3 bedroom houses to rent nearby. When I tried to enroll my son in the school when he was 3 I was told to call the July before he started school! I had to smile :)

most areas in douglas are quite nice esp if you can get somewhere on the city side along the south douglas road. reasonable prices and very handy for getting to city centre and douglas village.

traffic from rochestown and carrigaline can be a nightmare in the mornings but are nice areas too.

blackrock has some very posh suburbs and is another good option as is ballinlough and ballintemple.

Thanks for all the great advice. Does anyone know of a website I can check to see a list of schools within Cork?Also I have never rented before and was wondering how far in advance I would need to start looking taking into consideration we are planning on moving about next September.

Have you made a decision about where to relocate to in Cork or are you still going ahead with your move?

I live in Ballincollig and would say that it is a great place to live with a lot of amenities and very close to the city also. I wouldnt let the snobs complaining about 'bad' estates to put you off!

Have you made a decision about where to relocate to in Cork or are you still going ahead with your move?

I was going to put it off until next year due to the current climate but I've decided just to go ahead. I go on holiday this Saturday so when I come back I will get an Estate Agent to value my house. If the valuation is too low I'll just rent it out until the market picks up again. To be honest I am so desperate to get out of Glasgow I would live anywhere just now! I think it's important our son gets his last year at primary school in Cork and make some friends before he has to go secondary school next year. In terms of areas, no I still haven't decided....it's not easy! I want to bring all my furniture with me and there's not too many unfurnished houses out there but I'll keep looking. :confused:

There are a Glaswegian couple living in our parish (Kilmurry) who fell in love with the place as soon as they moved here 6 or 7 years ago. 20 mins from Cork, 5 from Macroom, 45 from Killarney. Good schools, both primary and secondary close by. Pushing my own community here but its a great place and properties are available with a little bit of homework. Past pupil of the aforementioned Scoil Eoin in Ballincollig, which I can vouch for as a great school also.

Wherever you decide, best of luck.

I wil be moving to Cork next year with my husband & 10 year son and I'm looking for advice on good family areas to live. We are willing to stay upto 35-40 minutes from the city centre. We have been over 4 times so far this year and had a good drive about but we still can't decide. The areas we are considering are Carrigaline, Glanmire, Ballincollig, Blackrock, Douglas, Rocehestown, Bishopstown & Blarney.We have only driven through some of these areas and we will be back in September to have another look. We also need to take into consideration schools etc. If anyone can suggest any other areas other than the ones meantioned it would be much appreciated.
Hi, we are planning to move to Cork from Co.Clare next year as well. Googling with the same question- what place to choose with children age 1 and 8, I came across this chat and found lots of information here.Just wonder, have you made to Cork by now and what place are you in if so, thanks

I grew up in Ballincollig and went to the Boys National School on Station Rd and then onto the Community School. Can rate them all highly.
We lived in Muskerry Estate which was built in the early 70's and had plenty green areas...one of the only estates to really have a lot of greens for kids to play.
Its more of less central in the town and is 10 min walk to National school and 20min walk to community school.
From memory only Catle Park & Inishmore were council estates but there is so much choice there now

Back