Advice needed - Should we switch from NTL to SKY?

emmage

Hi
A sky rep has just called into us...with an offer of a free sky+ box if we take it tonigh. So...should we change? Do we need a sat dish? What are the drawbacks if any? Is it more expensive than NTL?
Shes coming back in 10 mins! Help!
Many thanks
Em

I don't know the answer, but wouldn't agree to take on sky having been given just 10 minutes' notice. If there's an official deal going, then it will still be there in 3 days' time. Whether Sky is more expensive than NTL depends on the channels that you order. Yer-one should outline those clearly and sit down with you to explain what you do and don't get and then you can compare directly with your NTL costs, but I'd be showing her the door TBH

Sprite

i'd go for sky.you'll need dish,
sky+ is superb,customer service is very good also.
F.ive no connection with sky.

Customer service from NTL is dire. You may find it hard to disconnect.

NTL now have a similar package to Sky Plus which allows you to pause live TV, record programmes etc.

However, I chose NTL because I didn't want an ugly dish hanging from my home.

Why not just get a FTA satellite setup? Once off payment of probably €100-€200 and no subscription fees.

I'll second the free to air setup - have to tolerate a set of 'bunny ears' sitting on the TV to get RTE - which has quite a retro feel and takes me back to my childhood :)

Dish is ugly I agree, but in my case it's on the back of the house and reasonably high up so not instrusive.

I'll second the free to air setup - have to tolerate a set of 'bunny ears' sitting on the TV to get RTE - which has quite a retro feel and takes me back to my childhood :)
You could install a suitable terrestrial aerial outside or possibly in the attic to improve matters if the rabbit ears were not sufficient.

I wouldn't consider anything else than Sky - it's fantastic! (No, I don't work for Sky) A free Sky+ box is great. Do it!!!

A sky rep has just called into us...with an offer of a free sky+ box if we take it tonigh. So...should we change? Do we need a sat dish? What are the drawbacks if any? I
Sounds very high-pressure and the fact that the essential need for a dish was not mentioned is downright dodgy. I'd give that particular rep a miss.

UPC/NTL is cheaper and does not need a satellite dish. If you're in an apartment or your house has no suitable location for the dish, then this is attractive. Planning laws prohibit dishes on the front of the house. Sound quality on UPC is so-so, there's no Dolby digital.

Sky has more premium channels, and offers High Definition. Even its standard definition offering is better than UPC's as satellite has more bandwidth than cable. But it's generally more expensive than UPC.

Look at the channel offerings from both carefully and see if they'll tell you how much advertising per hour. There's an awful lot of tat/filler on both services.

Ok thanks everyone for the advice! We went for it! Will let you know how we get on. Must email NTL now to cancel.
Many thanks
Em

As mentioned on other threads here, Sky seem to be handing out free Sky+ at the mo to new customers.... no matter what the latest offers are. If someone comes calling door-to-door and you don't want to do business on the doorstep, just ring them up. They will invariably match the offer.
By the way, NTL will more than likely take longer than the quoted 30 days to end your service... but Sky appear to be happy to wait for a suitable connection time.

Any sign in the near future if SKY will be giving away there HD box and subscription for free.

Back