Adjustment Disorder post RTA.

Jumbled

I have been diagnosed recently by a Psychiatrist as having adjustment disorder having been involved in a car accident. The Psychiatrist was employed by PIAB as well as an Orthopaedic Surgeon.
I don’t know what the official findings are from the Orthopaedic report as yet.
I can understand why the Psychiatrist diagnosed me with such but am still a bit shocked. I’m also conscious of this very personal information being shared with PIAB and possibly in court and how it will
affect the outcome of the assessment . Knowing that the medical findings will be taken into account by PIAB when examining the claim, does the Psychiatrists report also have a bearing ?
Thank you.

The psychiatrist's report is a medical report every bit as much as the orthopaedic surgeon's is. In simple but rather crude terms, one deals with the thinking/control mechanisms of the body and the other with the skeletal or scaffolding systems; the hardware and software of the body.

Thanks for response. Are both reports then considered to decide on the compensation that I may receive ? Are they mutually exclusive ?

I'm not a medic but I'd suggest that without both medical reports, the picture for the PIAB adjudicators would be incomplete.

This guide suggests that a/one medical report is submitted and not multiple. (Emphasis is mine).
When making an application to PIAB each Claimant must submit a medical report with their application. This report is normally completed by one of the Claimant’s treating practitioners.
You should probably talk to your doctor about this.

Thanks. It was PIAB who requested me to see the Ortho man and Psychiatrist . I expect they’re questioning my own GP, Physio etc ?

Thanks. It was PIAB who requested me to see the Ortho man and Psychiatrist .
That seems to be part of the process
I expect they’re questioning my own GP, Physio etc ?
I'm not sure about that. Seems to me that you/your doctor will eventually submit the medical report that summarises your medical evidence as mentioned in my previous post

It might be worth familiarising yourself with the info on the PIAB website and having a chat with your doctor.

I'm assuming in all this that you are a claimant and not a respondent.

Ok, as to your core question...
I’m also conscious of this very personal information being shared with PIAB and possibly in court and how it will
affect the outcome of the assessment . Knowing that the medical findings will be taken into account by PIAB when examining the claim, does the Psychiatrists report also have a bearing ?
I don't think that anybody, other than the PIAB by way of their ultimate decision/running, can really clarify on this. Presumably they take account of all medical evidence and other info/factors in arriving at a decision and, possibly, compensation award?

Do the PIAB provide any contact which a claimant can talk to if they have questions/concerns about the process, privacy concerns etc.?

In case it's a concern of yours, I really don't think that there's any stigma involved in the psychiatrist's diagnosis in these (or any other) circumstances. Most people would experience some level of psychological trauma if involved in an RTA. And if anybody thinks that it's some sort of black mark against you then that's their problem and not yours.

Good luck with the process.

Thank you for your sensitive reply. I’m just so private and this is the last thing I want. If it went to court and I was cross examined on the psychological
Impact of things, I’m not sure I could cope tbh.

Thanks. It was PIAB who requested me to see the Ortho man and Psychiatrist . I expect they’re questioning my own GP, Physio etc ?
As it was the PIAB who requested you see them both, it is most likely they will review both reports. It's not a question of doubting your GP, both the psychiatrist and the orthopaedic surgeon have areas of speciality that your GP won't have and will be able to advise on treatment options (including costs) and long term prognosis.

If you want the PIAB to make a fully informed decision, then they need all the facts, you should not be concerned about privacy.

Thank you for your sensitive reply. I’m just so private and this is the last thing I want. If it went to court and I was cross examined on the psychological
Impact of things, I’m not sure I could cope tbh.
Isn't court only an issue if either party doesn't accept the PIAB ruling and escalates matters or the respondent doesn't pay up?
Maybe it will never come to that and you are worrying unnecessarily, albeit understandably, on that front?

Even if it does happen, courts/judges/registrars etc. are usually surprisingly patient and sensitive with those involved in a case so I don't think you should worry unduly about this.

Yes I’m
Possibly thinking worse case scenario. The idea of divulging private information like that and it possibly being picked up by media outlets is my worst nightmare. It’s a complex case, thanks.

Perfectly understandable.
As I mentioned, maybe the PIAB have somebody to talk to about any questions or concerns that you have?
Good luck with the case and hopefully it's all over and dealt with satisfactorily soon.

The vast majority of claims never end up with a hearing before a court (less than 2% of all claims). PIAB have requested this additional medical expertise to ensure they make the most accurate assessment possible. The majority of claims that leave the PIAB system and proceed to litigation are because the claimant is not happy with the assessment PIAB has made and the vast majority of those settle before every ending up in front of a judge.

You'll have either made a claim directly to PIAB or via a solicitor. If its a direct claim PIAB have a call centre who will be more than happy to talk you through the process. If you have engaged a solicitor then they should be able to give you some reassurance. The accident itself has had a considerable impact on you already and the PIAB\litigation process can be another level of stress in an already stressful situation. I hope you have good support helping you through this very difficult time.

Generally, in matters like this, it is not at all unusual for a claimant to feel a measure of worry about medical evidence.
The decision makers need to know all the evidence of your medical position so that a fair measure can be made of the quantum of your case.
The fact that PIAB had their own medical assessments does not automatically imply doubt about the veracity of your situation.
Just follow the process.

Last edited:
Additional thought.

I understand that PIAB will send you copies of their medical reports on you when issuing their assessment.
You can ask the PIAB to send you copies of their medical reports now.
If you can see what their doctors have said that might help to alleviate any anxiety.

Back