Adding Part of a Post as a Quote

roker

I always have trouble adding Quotes to my post, especially if the quote is only part of a previous quote.
I add the whole quote and then delete the part that I do not want. There must be an easier way.

I always have trouble adding Quotes to my post, especially if the quote is only part of a previous quote.
I add the whole quote and then delete the part that I do not want. There must be an easier way.

Not that I know of. If you find an easier way let me know :)

The multi-quote is harder again if you are trying to split one person's post and reply on specific sections.

Try using the Quote Icon in the toolbar instead of the quote button at the bottom of the screen.

1) Copy and paste the post you want to quote into your post

2) Split it up into the bits you want to quote and delete the bits you don't want

I always have trouble adding Quotes to my post,

I add the whole quote

There must be an easier way.

3) Highlight the remaining pieces separately and just click the quote icon

I always have trouble adding Quotes to my post,

I add the whole quote

There must be an easier way.

It's directly above the box where you type your message?

on the Quick Reply, the quote button is the last button.

On the Reply to Thread box, it's the 4th last from the Right hand side.

If you are not seeing these very useful toolbars, it's because you have set your options to "Basic editor"

To change the settings...

1) User CP (On the top left hand side)
2) Settings and Options Box
3) Edit Options
4) Scroll down to Miscellaneous Options at bottom of page
5) Message Editor Interface
6) Choose "Enhanced Interface - Full wysiwyg Editing"
7) Save Changes

There is also a Standard Editor, although I can't see any difference between this and the Enhanced Interface

I just quote the post and cut & paste it into a work document and then copy and paste the quote tags that are already there as required.

The multi-quote is harder again if you are trying to split one person's post and reply on specific sections.
Yes - it's a little bit more awkward - if splitting up one persons post into various quotes. Best way is to copy the whole quote - and delete out the unnecessary bits. Then move on to the next section - paste the whole quote and edit out again.

It is possible to incorporate a multi-quote feature into vbulletin - where your replying to quotes from different posts that have been previously posted on the thread - as demonstrated here.

Thanks Brendan, its this icon on the Quick Reply toolbar which appears at the bottom of the screen.

I never use Quick Reply preferring instead the button below the bottom of the last post in the thread but above the Quick reply box.

The icon isnt very intuitative but the tool tip states..."WRAP
tags around selected text".

Yes - it's a little bit more awkward - if splitting up one persons post into various quotes. Best way is to copy the whole quote - and delete out the unnecessary bits. Then move on to the next section - paste the whole quote and edit out again.

It is possible to incorporate a multi-quote feature into vbulletin - where your replying to quotes from different posts that have been previously posted on the thread - as demonstrated here.
I copy and paste the whole post and then just copy and paste the quote tags around the sections I'm commenting on.

I copy and paste the whole post and then just copy and paste the quote tags around the sections I'm commenting on.
Sure - that's what I do also. However, if multi quote functionality was added, then it's possible to multi quote from a number of quotes (on different posts) - within your own post.

Back