Adding a Tenant's name to a lease

AMWal3

I had a lease a few years ago with a couple who took in another tenant. The couple left and the extra tenant took over the lease but wants her name put on the old dated lease as she is looking for proof of residency. Can this be done legally?

You would be providing fake documentary evidence to something which is not true.

Whilst some lies are socially acceptable ("what a cute baby / the bride was beautiful"), it is generally a very bad idea to lie in print.

I had a lease a few years ago with a couple who took in another tenant. The couple left and the extra tenant took over the lease
This is what is called an assignment of tenancy. See RTB website. I don't see any issue with you backdating an assignment of tenancy once there is no intention to deceive anyone.

looking for proof of residency.
It depends on what the circumstances are but a tenancy is not a very good proof of anything. A utility bill would be better.

You would be providing fake documentary evidence to something which is not true.
It's not clear from the OP that this is being sought. If there was a de facto assignment of lease on a certain date then it is fine to put in place paperwork that attests to this fact.

Thanks for your replies.
The tenant was in place at the time but the lease agreement was with the couple and they sublet a room to a third person. This third person has since taken over the lease as the couple left but she now wants her name on a past lease agreement the couple had to prove residency in Ireland

Last edited:
Back