Motor Adding a named driver may reduce the insurance premium!

Brendan Burgess

Founder
A friend of mine received a quotation for €800 for renewing her insurance with Aviva. She has asked how to reduce it and the broker told her if she adds a named driver, they will reduce the premium by €200.

I assumed that this was adding a named driver instead of having Open Driving, but no, she doesn't have Open Driving.

So the insurance company is giving additional cover for a lower premium.

Does this make any sense?

My insurance went down €20 by adding herself.

I guess if the second person is less of a danger than yourself they insurance company want them driving the car.

If the person is her spouse/partner she will get a discount. If the partner has a car him/herself that has a bigger engine size they will give a discount. And if the person has no penalty points the discount will apply there too to the overall premium.

If the person is her spouse/partner she will get a discount. If the partner has a car him/herself that has a bigger engine size they will give a discount. And if the person has no penalty points the discount will apply there too to the overall premium.

You don't need to be related! My boyfriend's brother did this as he is quite a young driver with little experience. I have a full clean license for 8 years, no claims, no penalty points. When he added me his premium went from €1,500 to €1,050. Bit mad really!

jez i feel i've been had...

Added someone on my policy and was delighted that it stayed the same price i was expecting it to increase. Not as delighted now since everyones else's has gone down in price!

samanthajane, parhaps the driver you added was on an L permit? I would not expect that a discount is given if you add a learner driver to your policy.

My gf was asked by insurer whether there was any fella on the scene. She enquired what happened if there was but he did a runner. I can't remember the response.

We live a good distance from each other and both of us have named the other on our insurance. I got a reduction of about 150 to 200 euros and she also got a reasonably large reduction. We both have a lot of years driving, no claims bonuses and no penalty points.

I was joking about setting up a matchmaking business e.g. Shy Wexford man seeks Donegal woman, does not involve intercounty travel or meeting up, but may involve mutually satisfying insurance link up!

Yes the same happened to me too......it was cheaper to have spouse/partner on policy than just myself.

This can often happen, some reasons being:

1. Adding drivers above a certain age with a full licence is often free to do. Add the OH to your policy an driver category changes from 'Insured Only' to 'insured and spouse/partner'. Insured & spouse can be cheaper
2. Some insurers add a loading if its 'insured only' and the policy holder is male and below a certain age. Adding a female named driver can be free and gets rid of the 'insured only' loading

Can often be many strange rating rules within an insurer's rating structure.

Another 'trick' that people my not be aware of is if you are female and your spouse/partner drives a car with a higher cc than yours, many insurers (if not all) will give a discount as the car with the lower cc will be seen as a 'second car' in the household.

My gf was asked by insurer whether there was any fella on the scene. She enquired what happened if there was but he did a runner. I can't remember the response.

Have encountered this a few times. Even on my own insurance when I removed my ex as named driver, I was charged. Many people come in to remove an ex spouse/partner from their policy only to find there is an increase. It's like salt in the wound. I understand the reasoning behind it but I still hate explaining it to people. It never goes down well! :p

Back