Accountant's unethical behavior

Dubliner12345

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice.

I get a call from my accountant first week of May, 2016 that she would not be doing accounts anymore - as in with immediate effect. She tried to recommend another accountant but never shared full details of the accountant apart from an individual's name after asking for multiple times.

That moment I did not realize that the amount of inconvenience this would cause.

Now, looking at her actions such as ringing and telling that she would not be doing accounts without any formal notice is sounding really bad on her part.
I am wondering if this kind of action is an acceptable action?
Can an accountant just ring and tell that they would not be doing accounts anymore when they have been talking a good monthly fee?
Are there any regulations/ethics around this kind of actions?

Thanks in advance
Dub

What's your year end? Has she given you enough time to get your returns done on time?

Have you paid for services not provided?

Just as a client can choose a different accountant she can choose her clients.

As long as you have not paid for services not provided or are not in danger of not getting returns filed on time, don't think you have much to be upset about.

I think year end is end of this month. No - she has not spoken to me about anything - just rang and said no doing accounts anymore

I have been paying her monthly, shes taken money for the whole year. Apart from this month - i had to ask her to refund this month

Ok - thanks for your assistance.

You should have put that in the OP. You have a right to feel upset in that case.

So you feel that she has taken money for services that she has not provided.

Has she said that she will not do the year end accounts? It would be strange for her not to finish off the accounts having been paid for them!

I think you should say to her that she should prepare the accounts to end May and that you will get your new accountant to do the VAT from 1 June.

Your new accountant can file your return for 2015 in due course.

You should have put that in the OP. You have a right to feel upset in that case.

So you feel that she has taken money for services that she has not provided.

Has she said that she will not do the year end accounts? It would be strange for her not to finish off the accounts having been paid for them!

I think you should say to her that she should prepare the accounts to end May and that you will get your new accountant to do the VAT from 1 June.

Your new accountant can file your return for 2015 in due course.

Thanks that make sense. I would ask her.

I asked her about clearning some of the pending items, she said the new account will be able to look after that as she wouldnt be doing any accounts anymore. So I get the impression that she wouldnt be finishing off the accounts.

OP you should ring the CARB and see what your rights are in regard to the sudden termination.
http://www.carb.ie/

I would give her the benefit of the doubt, perhaps she is a sole practitioner who has taken on too much and is trying reduce the load by advising clients to find a new accountant.

It's much better than doing shoddy work and exposing the client.

The OP might revert next week when he has had a conversation with her in light of the comments above.

We have taken on clients who moved accountants and the previous accountants made poor efforts at accounts.

Back