Abbotswood, Rochestown Cork

The_Banker

Folks,
I would appreciate any info anyone might have of Abbotswood in Rochestown. I see there is a 4 bed detatched property for sale there asking €870k (I believe it's the house of a prominant politican) but while the estate looks the part it is very far from Douglas village, it certainly isn't walking distance.
It appears to be a lot of money for a house nearer Passage West than Douglas. Any details on traffic/area would be appreciated.

in my opinion you would not walk that distance. But it is in a great part of Rochestown. If one was purchasing a house for that price one may not worry about walking anywhere? The area is becoming a bit comgested due to the increasing sizes of Passage West.

Personally if i had that sort of money i would be looking more to Monkstown etc.

Can't understand why the politican is selling now that he's returning to domestic politics! It's a lovely development IMO but for some unknown reason the developer put the large detached houses at the front of the estate and subsequently all the traffic for the entire estate must pass this house. There is a small courtyard at the back of the estate with townhouse and plenty of cars. If you have children it would be worth considering putting walls/fence around the property (if allowed). Lovely part of Rochestown IMO - any your local is close enough to walk but not too close! Where would you be commuting to? If you were working in Ringaskiddy you could go "cross country". If you're going to Douglas (you're already mad in my eyes! - traffic 24:7) then traffic will be a problem but it doesn't matter where you are then. Trying to get to the South Link will encounter some traffic - especially with cars from Mount Oval Development too.

For the kind of money I'd prefer to buy a 'mansion' outside the city...with some land. I wouldn't spend €870k to live in an estate..but that's just me.

Traffic is a major problem there & from what u've described,I wouldn't think it's worth it.Unless u're set on that area,I think there is much better value to be had around the city

Abbotswood is a vey nice estate.

However, for that kind of money you could purchase a really nice house in one of those exclusive cul-de-sacs along the Douglas Road. These are within a few minutes walking distance of numerous schools, pubs, restaurants and shops and about a 20-min walk into town.

Also, for that kind of money you could purchase a large house with a stunning sea-view in Crosshaven or Kinsale.

As for a 'mansion' outside the city with some land ..I really can't see much advantage to living in noman's land.

Here's a house for sale in Crosshaven (similar price) with stunning sea views that Laurie mentioned .....

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]
Pg 2 Residential North Lodge, Church Bay

or there's a lovely one opposite the RCYC which needs a lot of work....
Pg 1 Ard na Lí

If you're gonna live in an estate, Abbotswood is one of the nicest you can find. It's really quiet. The houses are a bit different from the usual estate houses with high ceilings making rooms seem bigger than they really are. There are two detached houses currently for sale there.The Rochestown Inn is a 10 minute walk away. If you want a lively night out, Douglas is a taxi ride away. Traffic is very busy at peak times on the Rochestown Road but it always keeps moving.

Thanks everyone for the advice on Abbottswood. Just to put closure on this thread I will let you know how I fared.
I think the politician mentioned in the thread maybe had a little inside knowledge because prices seem to be dropping in that estate now. Fair play to him, he got out at the top of the market there.
Prices appear to be dropping in that area with so many houses on the market. Also, I read about a drugs bust on the paper with a resident of one of the houses. While I am sure it was an isolated incident, I still wouldn't like to risk ending up living next to some "boyz in da hood".
Also, with the massive expansion of Passage it is only a matter of time before it over takes Abbottswood and if paying all that money, there are certainly nicer addresses.
Many thanks to all for the advice.

Back