A sticky situation: rent a room lodger slow to move out

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I see the situation, you either get her out now , immediately, or ask her to pay the going rate for the room plus her share of the bills between now and end of May. It's quite simple, It's not your responsibility to subsidise her education ( and she probably has plenty to manage on anyway) and if not, she can get a part time job to earn the extra money. Is this not what other students have to do?.

I don't think I will look for anyone else to move in after she goes. Once burnt and all that....!!! Anyway, it will give me more freedom vis a vis entertaining Mr. Noor !! (he doesn't live with me obviously)

Well I think you answered your own question there.
Invite Mr. Noor over to stay for a few weeks, ask him to be as messy/ignorant/untidy as possible and keep walking around making rude noises etc. He is an untapped resource!!

Mr. Noor is, unfortunately, even softer than my good self. We are a right pair! Plus, he is dreadfully neat and tidy so he would be absolutely no help!!!

You might also consider giving her a date that she has to be out by even if well in the future. She can then organise herself, storage etc. etc. and cannot claim "surprise" when the day arrives. You might consider writing DAYS to Go on the inside of your front door with a numeral in erasable pen :D

That's a good idea. :)) I could make it like an advent calendar!

Failing that I may just have to get Mr. Noor to be a bit more alpha male ...

Hide his razor and feed him exclusively on beans and cabbage. That should sort out the neat and tidy part. Then keep him sleep deprived to make him grumpy. The downside is that you'll also have to live with him in this state.

Noor77 said:
Mr. Noor is, unfortunately, even softer than my good self. We are a right pair! Plus, he is dreadfully neat and tidy so he would be absolutely no help!!!

Is he shy? Get him to hang around the kitchen and living room wearing only towel after frequent showers! (Love the beans and cabbage idea! :))

I think if I was to implement the beans and cabbage thing, I would end up moving out before my Holly Golightly :))

Let's try and keep this in this forum and not give the moderators a reason to move it to Shooting the Breeze.

Thanks.

I bit the bullet yesterday and gave her a months notice! I feel both heartless and strangely liberated!

Well done Noor77, how did she react? Probably devastated that the gravy train has ground to a halt! It's likely now that her true colours will come to the fore.

Be prepared for a possible attempt to persuade you to change your mind and stick to your guns! :)

Well, she was none too impressed. I gave her a story about Mr. Noor putting pressure on me to move in with him and that I might have to let out the whole place etc....

Well done. As my sister says, every parasite needs a host, and you are not going to be her host anymore so WELL DONE!!!

Just a word of advice based on my own experience - make sure to follow it up with a letter confirming. You don't have to make a big deal out of it but at least that way she can't turn around and say later she misunderstood you. As you say she's from a different culture there's a good chance there are also language issues which she could use as an excuse (no matter how good her English may be).

We had this problem before with a French guy who was sub-letting a room in our rented house who was always late paying the rent and basically a pain in the neck to live with to put in mildly. We told him to move out four months in a row but he always pretended he didn't know what we were talking about when it came near the end of the month. Eventually ended up giving him a letter and having to get the landlord involved (which was very good of the landlord as technically it was our problem) as he just wouldn't take it from us (being mere women, we obviously didn't have a clue what we were doing!)

Oh, she knows what I mean alright. I think she is just shocked that I put my foot down for once!!!

I'm starting to feel a bit bad. Maybe I should have let her stay until the exams....... but it was just really getting to me and I felt I was being taken advantage of.

I think that's more or less the end of the friendship now. Unfortunate really.

No, I'm not bad. Just somewhat stupid!

Thanks again for all the help. I will let you know how it goes!

Well done, now you have to stick with your decision, and do not let her do the guild trip on you. DOn't feel bad for asking her to leave before her exams, but she is not your responsability...she will manage somehow.
Let us know when she is out and how you get on with the house for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back