A guide to car finance and HP

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Car finance/HP agreement
This is what you will be offered by a car dealer. It is also what your bank will try to get you take out if you ask for a car loan.

Early repayment penalties as it is a fixed rate loan. These penalties could be up to 6 months interest. – Note that around 60% of 5 year HP agreements are paid off within 3 years.
If you fall behind, cannot easily be rescheduled which explains why lenders are much more aggressive with borrowers in arrears. This can result in a bad credit history.
HP agreements sometimes have a balloon payment at the end where you pay a big lump of cash to buy the car. Very difficult to factor these into the real cost.
Not easy to evaluate as there are other fees such as documentation fees & arrangement fees.
Might be cheaper than a personal loan

Best buys

The following branded products are HP agreements:

Personal loan
Your bank will try to steer you to a HP agreement as the loan is secured on the car. But insist on a personal loan or take your business elsewhere.

Much more flexible – no penalties for paying it off early or paying a lump sum off the outstanding amount.
Easier to reschedule if you get into difficulties

Remortgage
The cheapest form of borrowing is a mortgage – current rates around 4.5% or less.
People will argue that you should not use 20 year finance to buy a 5 year car, but there is nothing to stop you paying off the car loan bit over 5 years or fewer.
There will be legal costs involved, so it might not be worth doing for smaller loans
You may have to increase your Mortgage Protection Policy

Some experiencesof remortgaging

Credit Unions
Some Credit Unions may be cheap and their loans are flexible. But some are extremely dear so be very careful.

Avoid Payment Protection Policies
The car dealers make big money selling these policies and they are poor value and add a lot to your repayments.

Other Tips
There have been reports of GE Capital/Woodchester taking a very aggressive attitude to people in arrears
Always shop around A car dealer has enormous scope to reduce the rate he is charging you.
You are usually better off with a personal loan rather than HP, but don’t tell the car dealer that you have the finance until you have the price agreed on the car. They make more money from selling finance than from selling cars.
Some car companies and dealers do special deals to shift cars e.g. Ford two step finance and Keary’s in Cork but make sure that the price of the car is not inflated.
Handy site for checking the history of a second hand car
cartell.ie
If you buy a second hand car and there is HP/car finance outstanding on it, you will have to pay off the HP. So check beforehand by by calling HP Ireland on 2600905.

I have tried to summarise the content of many threads in this Guide. If there are any other interesting threads or links I have missed, please post them in reply.

In particular, if anyone has the time to list out the branded products which are HP agreements, I would be very grateful.

Quick and Dirty Car Finance Directory For Ireland

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ACC Bank Car Finance [/FONT]- website does not appear to work

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AIB Loans Accelerator [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][broken link removed][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][broken link removed] Not sure if this is HP or a personal loan

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][broken link removed][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]First Active Car Loans [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][broken link removed][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][broken link removed] states clearly that it is a HP loan

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.gecapital.ie/GECapital/CarFinance/CarFinance.cfm][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
GE Capital Woodchester Car Finance
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Just another fact in relation to Payment Protection. On the 9th May in the Irish Independant Personal Finance section it was reported
'a a survey by the Financial Regulator in 2004 found that those who claimed on their policies only 6% were successful. This means that Insurers reject 94 out of every 100 claims.'
Couldn't believe the figures.

Brendan,

Just a comment regarding re-mortgaging to finance the purchase of a motor car, which you have commented favourably upon.

I feel it should be stressed much more that such finance, whilst cheap, is in fact secured against your Home.

Failure to make payments could result, at it's most serious, in losing your Home.

As you have pointed out, rightly, the inherent dangers regarding HP being secured against the car, would it not be even more important to point out the dangers of short-term borrowing for consummables and consumer goods against one's Home.

Hi Thrifty

I always thougth that the ratio of successful claims was low, but I doubt if it's that low. Can you provide a link to those stats please. I would not include them unless I could verify them.

Hi Irish Pancake

I wouldn't include such a comment on what is a summary of the key features of car finance. Feel free to raise the point in one of the threads to which I have linked. A debt is a debt. You are more likely to get into trouble if you are paying 9% interest than if you are paying 4.5% interest. It is theoretical that you might lose your home. It would not happen in practice.

Brendan

Dealers have some discretion about what interest rate is charged on the finance they sell you. They can:
Sell a package that pays commission to the Dealer and the salesperson.
Sell a package that pays commission to the salesperson only.
Sell a package that pays no commission to either.

Each of the above will affect the interest rate you pay.

Whatever package is used the dealer gets their margin on the sale and their back end volume bonus and the salesperson gets their commission on the sale so even if they make nothing on the finance package it is still in their interest to sell you the car.

I am open to correction but I believe the finance company pays the salesperson directly for each finance product they sell so if they are not giving you what you want see if their is a more senior member of staff or an owner around who just wants to shift product.

The last car I bought was on a finance plan sold by the dealer but the interest rate was 0.9% lower than a BOI personal loan at the time.
Knowing the structure of the product you are buying helps you when you are negotiating the sale. If you are buying an expensive car NEVER accept the first finance agreement they offer you.

Hi Thrifty

There is a report by Charlie Weston in today's Indo to say that the claims ratio in the UK is 10%. This does not mean that only 10% of claims were successful - it is the percentage of premium paid out in claims.

GE Capital claims that 70% to 80% of claims are successful, but they don't give the claims ratio.

I suspect that the 6% IFSRA referred to is the claims ratio.

Brendan

Back