Health Insurance A&E charges after referred by VHI

masterboy123

Hi,
My family attended VHI 360 Health Centre and they referred to A&E for further investigations. A&E did some tests and discharged home.
Do we expect €100 bill from A&E in this case?

I understand if your GP refers to A&E then there is no additional fee.
Thanks

Hi,
My family attended VHI 360 Health Centre and they referred to A&E for further investigations. A&E did some tests and discharged home.
Do we expect €100 bill from A&E in this case?

I understand if your GP refers to A&E then there is no additional fee.
Thanks
The rule is referred by 'a' GP not 'your' GP. So if you are referred by a GP out of hours service, then that exempts you from the charge. The question here is whether the Vhi Clinic referral counts as a GP referral.

The rule is referred by 'a' GP not 'your' GP. So if you are referred by a GP out of hours service, then that exempts you from the charge. The question here is whether the Vhi Clinic referral counts as a GP referral.
So far no bill received. Its just over 4 weeks.

I attended A&E in Kerry during the week, had to pay the 100 euro charge as I registered for treatment!

I wasn't referred by a GP, I went straight to A&E.
I was asked to pay at reception as I registered, before I was seen by medical staff. There was no bill, I was told there was a charge and asked how I was paying.

It’s not only GP referrals that avoid charges, I wasn’t charged when referred by an optician. I don’t know the rules but I’d be surprised if you were charged after a referral from any medical professional.

Back