Key Post A DIY bankruptcy guide - contributors wanted!

Steve, it appears there should be some very relevant words added there which we discussed earlier in the thread.

Section 133 (b) (4) A debtor may not present a petition for adjudication unless the petition is accompanied by an affidavit sworn by the debtor that he has, prior to presenting the petition, made reasonable efforts to reach an appropriate arrangement with his creditors relating to his debts by making a proposal for a Debt Settlement Arrangement or a Personal Insolvency Arrangement to the extent that the circumstances of the debtor would permit him to enter into such an arrangement."

I think your emphasis is wrong. The piece you highlight means that he can only present his petition if he has circs which are such that he could do a PIA, ie he is insolvent... the key phrase surely is "by making a proposal for a DSA or PIA." This seems to assert that this must be done first. The reasonable efforts with his debtors, being the making of the proposal.
It suggests that a bankruptcy follows if that is rejected.

Are there any qualified PIPs on here to explain this. After all they have the training!! (but perhaps not 20 yrs insolvency experience)

Steve Thatcher

Last edited:
I think your emphasis is wrong. The piece you highlight means that he can only present his petition if he has circs which are such that he could do a PIA, ie he is insolvent... the key phrase surely is "by making a proposal for a DSA or PIA." This seems to assert that this must be done first. The reasonable efforts with his debtors, being the making of the proposal.
It suggests that a bankruptcy follows if that is rejected.

Are there any qualified PIPs on here to explain this. After all they have the training!! (but perhaps not 20 yrs insolvency experience)

Steve Thatcher

Steve

My own circumstances are €600kish secured and unsecured debt, currently unemployed with no assets.
Had an initial free of charge consultation with a PIP who confirmed that my circumstances would not be suitable for a PIA or DSA, have this in an email. He recommended bankruptcy. He did not require me to deal with him anymore or offer me further services.
Contacted OA's office and asked for procedure and costs to have myself adjudicated bankrupt. Received a very detailed email and have posted the details as explained by them.
At no point did anybody mention that you must pursue a PIA/DSA if clearly unsuitable. I have confirmed this with the PIP.

Our PIP's may not have the benefit of 20 years experience of our new insolvency legislation but who has?

We will know soon anyway when I put the new law into practice, hopefully in the next few weeks. I can understand that you, like many other people are eager to see how the new legislation works in practice so we can make a real comparison of Ireland v UK bankruptcy. I will post as many details as possible.

As a person who is going through the process what bits of the interview were helpful?

There was no new information in the interview for me. However, regardless of how much you know about the new legislation it's still worth a listen. His attitude is key. He certainly does not appear to be a tyrant.
He comes across as very fair. He acknowledges that he is dealing with difficult situations and people who are sometimes fragile. His language suggests that if you play ball he will try to make it as smooth as possible. There doesn't appear to be much waffle.
I have faith entering the process and engaging with his office after listening to the interview.

Steve

My own circumstances are €600kish secured and unsecured debt, currently unemployed with no assets.
Had an initial free of charge consultation with a PIP who confirmed that my circumstances would not be suitable for a PIA or DSA, have this in an email. He recommended bankruptcy. He did not require me to deal with him anymore or offer me further services.
Contacted OA's office and asked for procedure and costs to have myself adjudicated bankrupt. Received a very detailed email and have posted the details as explained by them.
At no point did anybody mention that you must pursue a PIA/DSA if clearly unsuitable. I have confirmed this with the PIP.

Our PIP's may not have the benefit of 20 years experience of our new insolvency legislation but who has?

We will know soon anyway when I put the new law into practice, hopefully in the next few weeks. I can understand that you, like many other people are eager to see how the new legislation works in practice so we can make a real comparison of Ireland v UK bankruptcy. I will post as many details as possible.

My point wasn't about being cocky about having 20 yrs of your legislation, it is 20 years in insolvency. These PIPs have had 8 weeks. All I did was quote what was quoted to you, I think, it was some time ago.
If it seems you can present your own petition without a DSA or PIA great, what I was pointing out was that that was not what that section says you can do.

It may be that local practice on the ground now understands that that provision is unworkable and so they will ignore it, it doesn't invalidate pointing out the strict working. I hope it works for you. God knows people need a solution.

I hope thousands take up the solution as well as this debt needs to be cleared and until now I have been the only option.

I can only help 200 people a year and that is not enough.

Good luck my friend

Steve Thatcher

I cannot apply yet either due to needing the €1900 assets when applying, so am waiting for the new rules.

I heard on the radio yesterday that this last obstacle was removed yesterday. Anyone have any confirmation of this?

I heard on the radio yesterday that this last obstacle was removed yesterday. Anyone have any confirmation of this?

I haven't heard. Supposedly coming soon.
http://www.thejournal.ie/bankruptcy-changes-imminent-insolvency-regime-1191980-Nov2013/

Some useful links to forms required during bankruptcy:
http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/%28WebFiles%29/2F3D7B277704AEC080257A470041A240/$FILE/Statement%20of%20Affairs%20-%20July%202012%20form.pdf

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/%28WebFiles%29/C668F85DC61F235680257A47003F21BD/$FILE/Statement%20of%20affairs%20information%20sheet.pdf

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/(WebFiles)/C57E08CF7D5D2C3F80257A4C002F7E3D/$FILE/Statement%20of%20Personal%20Information.doc

I wonder will the forms stay the same once the new act is in, won't go filling them just yet.

If it seems you can present your own petition without a DSA or PIA great, what I was pointing out was that that was not what that section says you can do.

It may be that local practice on the ground now understands that that provision is unworkable and so they will ignore it, it doesn't invalidate pointing out the strict working.

Steve Thatcher

You, like me, are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. It seems to me, as stated already, that in my own situation I'm living on well below the ISI reasonable living guidelines so clearly my "circumstances" would not permit me to enter a DSA or PIA.

I hope thousands take up the solution as well as this debt needs to be cleared and until now I have been the only option.

I thank you for all the information you have supplied on AAM, much if not all of which I have read but you are not the UK insolvency system and there are many other UK insolvency experts.

You, like me, are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. It seems to me, as stated already, that in my own situation I'm living on well below the ISI reasonable living guidelines so clearly my "circumstances" would not permit me to enter a DSA or PIA.

I thank you for all the information you have supplied on AAM, much if not all of which I have read but you are not the UK insolvency system and there are many other UK insolvency experts.

Thank you Pat, it's posters like you that make we wonder whether its worth the effort sometimes. You want advice ask for an opinion and then decide what you want anyway.

Good bye AAM.

Steve Thatcher

Thank you Pat, it's posters like you that make we wonder whether its worth the effort sometimes. You want advice ask for an opinion and then decide what you want anyway.

Good bye AAM.

Steve Thatcher

Ah lads, relax.
Steve, your advice, and free advice, I might add, is greatly appreciated. Be a shame to lose your knowledge, when people need it most.

Steve, you are still very very welcome on this site by all of us that value your contribution.
This new change will not stop the flow to the UK because its still much quicker.
People will still seek out the advice.

Apparently its not necessary to advertise in newspapers anymore

Yes I heard this on the radio yesterday and it's mentioned in the Irish times here:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...fees-and-stamp-duty-cut-in-half-29790754.html

But the article is a bit unclear on the €1900.

Looks now like Irish bankruptcy will costs less than 1K, made up of 650 for the OA and 100 Euro in stamp duty on two documents.

That article also seems odd because it says New Beginnings and others are going to do bankruptcies for free. I thought all these organisations charge a fee?

Good bye AAM.

Steve Thatcher

That's a tad over the top Steve? You've no doubt helped many people on here and have been very informative. But people are entitled on here to give their own opinions.

Bronte, you are right. Pat2 I apologise.

Can we put it down to tiredness and a lack of a sense of humour on my part. Apologies all round.

I note deals are being done.I am glad I hope they are realistic and fair. We may or may not get to hear too much about them if gagging clauses are inserted but 5-6 years later at least there will be closure for those that can offer something.

Here the UK courts are still making orders without problems. I have had two more this week and am doing 10 more before christmas break.

I may not be able to answer to many Q's before the break but I will pop back on when I can

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Yes I heard this on the radio yesterday and it's mentioned in the Irish times here:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...fees-and-stamp-duty-cut-in-half-29790754.html

But the article is a bit unclear on the €1900.

Looks now like Irish bankruptcy will costs less than 1K, made up of 650 for the OA and 100 Euro in stamp duty on two documents.

That article also seems odd because it says New Beginnings and others are going to do bankruptcies for free. I thought all these organisations charge a fee?

Fantastic, slow but steady emergence from the dark ages! Makes much more sense to do it digitally.

I would hope that it should be relatively easy to do the rest without a solictor so hopefully no need to engage Flac/new beginnings etc..

Should be soon now, supposedly we are waiting on Alan Shatter to come back from Lebanon

Back