9 yrs on housing list

cleverclogs7

Hi,sorry but dont know where to post question.
i have been on housing list for 9 yrs and today was offered a house in sheelin avenue ballybrack.
Could anyone tell me what this area is like as i always imagined ballybrack a not so pleasent/safe area.on loan parent(not working) and how much rent do i pay to the council
im a little bummed as i just bought my daughter her school uniform and paid for materials she needs for next september in her school in bray.

any info would be great thanks.

Cleverclogs, I dont know anything about the area, but try asking in 'Location, location', to get a general idea of what the area may be like. Very best of luck.

Hi, I would say that this area is okay, not the worst at all by any means. My sister bought an ex-council house in this area about 4 years ago, she has two kids and no complaints. It's really handy for many areas. If it were me I would go for it. I note from previous posts you are privately renting, would it not be better in this economic climate to have a secure home/landlord rather than be at the mercy of social welfare rent cuts, and private landlords. Also the added advantage of having a house from the council is that it is virtually yours, if you want to paint the insides of the house pink you can, without having to consult a private landlord. Go for it, give yourself some security and peace. At least go see it and don't be in anyway snobbish all areas have good and bad people in it. Make it yours and it doesn't matter! Let me know how you get on!

You also run the risk of losing Rent Supplement if you refuse more than 2 offers from the local authority, so hopefully it all works out for you!

The rent to the Local Authority will be based on your income (it's called Differential Rent).

Back