4 year rule for refunds - some crazy decisions

Ultimately the obligation for submitting a return/making the claim for repayment has to rest with the taxpayer.

This is the core of the matter. All taxpayers are expected to have a good knowledge of the Taxes Acts as applicable to them.

Slightly off to one side on this one Graham, but did the guy not have pink slips from the principal? If not then the principal is surely guilty of an offence...

This lad was 18 then, came to me recently, 6 years later. Didn't even know there was money to his credit for 04 until I filed the outstanding return to enable the 09 refund be released. The principal must have filed the RCTDCs but the young fella had no recollection of them. At this point its irrelevant unfortunately.

A bit off thread but a colleague told me of a case recently. Taxpayer was owed a refund of tax for 2005 , they also owed Revenue a balance for 2004 and were further owed a refund of tax for 2009. The refund for 2005 was disallowed under the 4 year rule. The liability for 2004 ( also outside the 4 years but irrelevant ) was collected by reducing the 2009 refund and the taxpayer got the balance. Try explaining the logic of that to the taxpayer he said to me.

Section 865 TCA deals with repayments of taxes ! not offsetting taxes !

you should of asked for the 2005 refund to be offset against the 2004 liability first of all and then you would of getting the refund for 2009.

if you appeal this assessment and tell the revenue that you have studied section 865 and no were does it mention not allowing offsetting taxes ie the 2005 refund then the revenue would have to do this as i have done it with a few clients and they have allowed it

you should of asked for the 2005 refund to be offset against the 2004 liability first of all and then you would of getting the refund for 2009.

if you appeal this assessment and tell the revenue that you have studied section 865 and no were does it mention not allowing offsetting taxes ie the 2005 refund then the revenue would have to do this as i have done it with a few clients and they have allowed it

This was a case a colleague told me about. I'll pass that information on to him. Thanks v. much.

A query on this issue which I would be grateful for advice on:

In April 2010, myself and my wife received a series of balancing statements for the years 2006 through to 2009 whereby we were notified and reimbursed for overpayment of income tax in these years. Upon enquiry with our local tax office, we were advised that a tax allowance had erroneously never been credited to my wife when we got married which resulted in the overpayments of tax and subsequent reimbursement.

I know that Revenue normally does not examine matters more than four years previous to the current tax year. However, given that the tax allowance error was made in the first jointly assessed year, we could not have been aware of the mistake and as such assumed that our tax credits and allowances were correct. In effect we had no correct reference with which to compare the amount of tax paid.

We got married in 2002 and as such think we overpaid tax for 2003 to 2005.

Sorry for being so longwinded but does anyone think that Revenue will entertain us by asking to go back so far in time?

A query on this issue which I would be grateful for advice on:

In April 2010, myself and my wife received a series of balancing statements for the years 2006 through to 2009 whereby we were notified and reimbursed for overpayment of income tax in these years. Upon enquiry with our local tax office, we were advised that a tax allowance had erroneously never been credited to my wife when we got married which resulted in the overpayments of tax and subsequent reimbursement.

I know that Revenue normally does not examine matters more than four years previous to the current tax year. However, given that the tax allowance error was made in the first jointly assessed year, we could not have been aware of the mistake and as such assumed that our tax credits and allowances were correct. In effect we had no correct reference with which to compare the amount of tax paid.

We got married in 2002 and as such think we overpaid tax for 2003 to 2005.

Sorry for being so longwinded but does anyone think that Revenue will entertain us by asking to go back so far in time?

Unfortunately, the issue here is you are talking about a repayment claim for allowances not previously claimed. Back to Section 865 Taxes Consolidation Act 1997. Sub-section (3) says " Revenue must not make a repayment of tax overpaid unless the claimant has made a valid claim " Subsection (4) says "A claim for repayment ... is not allowed unless it is made......within 4 years after the end of the chargeable period to which the claim relates..."

You may indeed have overpaid in 2003-2005 if the refunds for 2006+ are anything to go by. Unfortunately you may be just another victim of S.865.

On reading the above, it seems to me that the prohibition relates solely to Revenue making a repayment. If a taxpayer had overpaid more that 4 years ago, what's to stop them asking the Revenue to offset the overpayment against their future tax liability e.g. by increasing their tax credits for the current year if they are a PAYE taxpayer?

On reading the above, it seems to me that the prohibition relates solely to Revenue making a repayment. If a taxpayer had overpaid more that 4 years ago, what's to stop them asking the Revenue to offset the overpayment against their future tax liability e.g. by increasing their tax credits for the current year if they are a PAYE taxpayer?

Yes, Ants mentioned this above. In the case I was referring to I have mentioned this to my colleague who is following it up. If he succeeds in getting an offset I'll report back. (This was a self-assessment case though, not PAYE )

Sorry lads I don't think that assertion about repayment v offset holds any water.
The Acts don't seem to mention offsets anywhere, so I would say that strictly speaking an offset IS a repayment, which for mutual convenience of both revenue and the customer is transferred into a different taxhead or period...
I'm totally open to correction on this if anyone has a different take on things. S.459 in particular sets out the mechanism, and mentions repayment but not set off...

As far as I know there is no mechanism by which a persons tax credits can just be adjusted upwards.
We're talking about a computer system with controls in place, for example to ensure that staff can't just give their favourite uncle an unspecified €10k tax credit!
If you look at your cert of tax credits each credit is specified, and make up a total.
So there is no override to just manually increase a customer's tax credit next year.
Of course, the credits can be manually reduced, but that's for the taxpayers benefit, where it facilitates collection of an earlier underpayment...

My suggestion that you might be able to offset was based more on hope than expectation. I imagine that if there a loophole that big in the legislation, people would have figured out how to exploit it by now.

However, I think a strong case can be made for offsetting overpayments against prior year underpayments and I would be interested to see how that pans out.

My suggestion that you might be able to offset was based more on hope than expectation. I imagine that if there a loophole that big in the legislation, people would have figured out how to exploit it by now.

However, I think a strong case can be made for offsetting overpayments against prior year underpayments and I would be interested to see how that pans out.

I don't mean to be smart Homer, but those two paragraphs totally contradict each other - yes, surely if there was a loophole it would by now be widely exploited, and would have been closed off. This would suggest there is no case for offsetting overpayments, full stop. Revenue do offsets as a matter of mutual convenience, but they are in fact repayments and subject to S.865 (just my understanding, totally open to correction!)

I don't mean to be smart Homer, but those two paragraphs totally contradict each other - yes, surely if there was a loophole it would by now be widely exploited, and would have been closed off. This would suggest there is no case for offsetting overpayments, full stop. Revenue do offsets as a matter of mutual convenience, but they are in fact repayments and subject to S.865 (just my understanding, totally open to correction!)

Going from Ants post above there would appear to be some wriggle room on this with at least some tax districts.

Going from Ants post above there would appear to be some wriggle room on this with at least some tax districts.

Well definitely in any dealings with the tax office the interpretation / judgement of the individual inspector comes into play; but just because one (or several) inspector makes a mistake, this doesn't mean that it'll be repeated across the board, or even within a district.

So it definitely might be worth a try arguing for offset instead of repayment, and if the amount is relatively small or the inspector is feeling lazy then you might get lucky, but if they go and pull that big red book off it's shelf then I think you'll probably get a different answer...!

As far as I know there is no mechanism by which a persons tax credits can just be adjusted upwards.
We're talking about a computer system with controls in place, for example to ensure that staff can't just give their favourite uncle an unspecified €10k tax credit!
If you look at your cert of tax credits each credit is specified, and make up a total.
So there is no override to just manually increase a customer's tax credit next year.
Of course, the credits can be manually reduced, but that's for the taxpayers benefit, where it facilitates collection of an earlier underpayment...

Credits can actually be increased by putting on "EXPENSES". Any figure can be input, normally expenses would be quite small (eg nurses about eur700) but are allowed at top rate of tax so putting on expenses of 10,000 would reduce the tax bill by 4,200. That would be a seriously favorite uncle. Obviously the Revenuer who did this would be in serious trouble.
Sybil

Credits can actually be increased by putting on "EXPENSES". Any figure can be input, normally expenses would be quite small (eg nurses about eur700) but are allowed at top rate of tax so putting on expenses of 10,000 would reduce the tax bill by 4,200. That would be a seriously favorite uncle. Obviously the Revenuer who did this would be in serious trouble.
Sybil

Exactly. I have had my TFA increased by over £40K, in the days you could buy a house for 40K. I rang then up, the person I got talking to admitted it was actual her who made the mistake and thought it was hilarious. I asked it would have ever been spotted and was told probably not.

Sybil

D'Oh, I forgot about good old expenses! I remember hearing that something along those lines did actually happen, and down in your neck of the woods Mrs Vimes...

And needless to say the person(s) involved are no longer in the employ of the state.

You can be pretty sure the controls on the system have been tightened since then though!

I don't see how the two paragraphs contradict each other. In the first paragraph, I was talking about offsetting overpayments against subsequent underpayments. In the second paragraph, it was against prior underpayments.

I think that a legitimate argument could be made for someone who owes money to Revenue being allowed to regard payments subsequently made to Revenue as being made towards the arrears that they owe. It's a fairly limited case and does not necessarily open the floodgates for taxpayers to backdate indefinitely.

I don't see how the two paragraphs contradict each other. In the first paragraph, I was talking about offsetting overpayments against subsequent underpayments. In the second paragraph, it was against prior underpayments.

I think that a legitimate argument could be made for someone who owes money to Revenue being allowed to regard payments subsequently made to Revenue as being made towards the arrears that they owe. It's a fairly limited case and does not necessarily open the floodgates for taxpayers to backdate indefinitely.

I believe the two paragraphs contradict each other because there is no mention anywhere in the legislation of setting off overpayments, only repayments. (Setting off is only a convenient mechanism to cut down on administrative work for both Revenue and the Taxpayer). So it is irrelevant whether the taxpayer wants to have an overpayment set forward, set back or set sideways (against a different tax head); it is in fact a request for repayment, and therefore subject to S.865.

Now I know you are strictly talking about Overpayments, but I think you are making a distinction that doesn't exist in the legislation. A payment is a payment is a payment, regardless of whether upon the subsequent raising of an assessment it turns out that the amount paid actually exceeded the ultimate liability. You can't distinguish between a payment that gave rise to an overpayment, and one that didn't. And in the event that an overpayment does arise, then S.865 and the 4 year rule applies.

Maybe I'm missing something here - Can you explain how from a legislative point of view you could see it working? Taken to its logical conclusion your line of thought would suggest that if you got a Revenue audit tomorrow, and were found to have a substantial liability, you could turn around and argue that the payments you made against subsequent periods should be set in priority against the earlier period where the liability has been found to arise, thereby reducing the amount of interest owed. (However, when you make a payment to Revenue, for example preliminary tax, you specify to Revenue what period the payment relates to. The legal concept of estoppel precludes you from then subsequently arguing that the payment in fact related to an earlier period.)

Back