2nd Car Insurance Question

Leesider32

We have to get a second car and wondering what is the cheapest way to go about car insurance.

My has her full licence for 3 years whereas I have mine for over 20. Therefore should I go as the main driver on both cars? My wife won't drive the new one whereas I might drive hers the odd time.

Thanks

Therefore should I go as the main driver on both cars? My wife won't drive the new one whereas I might drive hers the odd time
What you're suggesting is illegal "fronting". Don't do it.
You need to shop around for the best deal for your combined requirements. Adding yourself as name driver on your wife's cover may reduce the premium with some insurers. But it may have the opposite effect with others. It's impossible to predict without doing the (virtual) legwork or getting a broker on the case.

If you are main driver on two policies your no claims bonus only applies to one, so the second policy would be at zero NCB.

You will get up to 20% discount on both policies under family plans some have, so the best option (only real option) is herself insured on her car with you as named driver and you on your car with herself as named driver.

Even if she will never drive your car, it works out cheaper than you insured alone.

Currently AIG are very good for two car families as are Aviva.

Even if she will never drive your car, it works out cheaper than you insured alone.
That depends. Some insurers reward you for having a named driver, some penalise you as I said above.
Currently AIG are very good for two car families as are Aviva.
It doesn't have to be family. Where an insurer rewards you for having a named driver it usually does so no matter what the relationship to them. E.g. partner, sibling, friend, not living with you etc. makes no difference.

Get the new one insured in your name with your wife as a named driver. As you stated you will be the main driver of this car.

Get your old car insured in your wife’s name with you as a named driver. That way your wife builds up ncb in her own name on the car she drives.

Hi all,

So as per advice and legal requirements I have gone with another policy for my wife. Now I have to send in named driver experience for the last 4 years for her, problem is I only have the insurance company/broker details for the last 2 1/2 years.

Tracking back I have been able to get the policy number for the 3rd year and I was insured with Aviva but it was through a broker and when I called Aviva they don't have the information on who the broker was. Any thoughts on how I could find this? Trawling through emails and old docs has already been done!

Thanks

If you have the policy number, Aviva MUST know who the broker is. In any event AVIVA are the insurer, so write to them seeking the information.

If you have the policy number, Aviva MUST know who the broker is. In any event AVIVA are the insurer, so write to them seeking the information.
Aviva won’t provide that information easily, they are by far the most difficult provider. Even as a broker with a very large personal lines book with them they are still horrendous to deal with! If that was Axa, Liberty, Zurich it’d be straight forward but not aviva!

If they don't respond within a reasonable period, say 7 days, then I'd make a formal complaint. They MUST finalise that within 40 days or else they must report their delay to Central Bank

Back