2 car insurance claims in one year and NCD

Vixen27

Had my car stolen and burnt out the week before Christmas. Currently have a hire car, which is covered by my insurance. The problem is….my boyfriend scratched the side of the hire car causing quite a lot of damage (he is a named driver on my policy). Took it to a reputable dealer to see how much the cost will be to repair and they quoted 2k.

Does anyone know how this will affect my no claims if I claim for the damage to the hire car so soon after making a fire and theft claim? I have the full NCD which I am reluctant to lose as I’m still under 30. My policy states that fire and theft does not affect NCD but it also states that if you make 2 claims in one insurance period that your NCD is reduced to zero. Think I’m in a bit of a grey area. There’s lots of different scenarios on step back in my policy but none specifically refer to this sort of case.

No-one in the insurance company will give me advice without taking all sorts of details and I’d rather them not know anything about it, at least until my first claim is settled.

Can anyone help???

I may be overruled by someone with more experience, but I think it would be ok to give your insurance company all the details and let them advise you. If you subsequently decide to pay for the damage yourself, then it won't be a claim on your policy - in fact if you make a claim and then pay it back later then you can retrieve your no claims status as far as I'm aware.

I may be overruled by someone with more experience, but I think it would be ok to give your insurance company all the details and let them advise you. If you subsequently decide to pay for the damage yourself, then it won't be a claim on your policy - in fact if you make a claim and then pay it back later then you can retrieve your no claims status as far as I'm aware.

correct

it may be cheaper to have hire company repair as they can reclaim the VAT and should be able to negotiate lower labour rates with their repairer. You should then get the benefit of that.

The drawback, and this is the case whever does the rapairs, is that if the hire company look for 'depreciation' due to the accident, then that is NOT covered by your own policy.

Back