123.ie House cover for rented property stay clear if tenants are on SW

S

SNOWBALL

I recently rang 123.ie to check the price for House cover for my rented property.But they have a clause that they will not cover if the Tenant is not working or i have students in it.Got insurance with Allianz but cant understand what is working got to do with it?I have a young mother and baby int the house

Presumably 123.ie (or at least the underwriters that they use) have simply assessed this risk as one that they are not prepared to cover?

I remember an underwriter once explaining to me that a house rented to three single people was a greater burglary risk than the same house rented to a family of three people. Apparently statistics show that many burglaries are committed by people who have already been granted access to the premises in one guise or another. So the more visitors to the house, the higher the burglary risk, apparently. Three single people will generally have more visitors than a family of three people, where there will be a lot more overlap on visitors.

I'm not a general insurance broker so I don't really understand where employment status comes into it. My guess would be that students would have a higher rate of accidental damage claims, or maybe I've been watching too many Frat House Party - type teen movies.:D

I also had a query from the insurance in relation to workers as I had one tenant who had been a worker, got injured and is now a social welfare tenant. I explained that he was long term, reliable etc and that I had known him for years and there was no problem with the insurance. I think it was with Alliance landlords insurance company.

Back