12 Month old allergic to Cows Milk

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveco23

Hi All,
Our 12 month old son is allergic to anything that contains cows milk - found out when we swapped from Breast to bottle. His eyes swell shut and vomits copiously, plus comes out in a serious rash.
We have been using SMA Wysoy formula since then with no problems, but now he is getting older we notice that there are no milk free "follow-on" products a la Cow and Gate and SMA. We know that straight soy milk should not be given to a kid under two, so the question is do we keep using the soy formula, or are there any other products out there we can use until he hits two?
Thanks.

I think with a reaction like that you would be well advised to get your advice from a paediatrician. At the very least, discuss the situation with your local pharmacist. Allergies to food need to be taken very seriously.

From what I know about friends' children, it doesn't seem to be unusual for a child who reacts badly to one thing, to then develop allergies to several other things. It may be well worth having your little guy tested, and then you'll have more peace of mind regarding what you feed him.

Just wondering is there any reason why you wouldn't just continue on with the Wysoy formula until he gets to two?

Our son also 1 has an intolerance to cows milk also, Wysoy formula was not acceptible to him (absolutely refusal to drink the stuff, so did I after the first mouth full) We gave half and half soya milk and water and now full soya. The advice on not to give full soya milk is same as that for giving full cows milk until 2 (doc says its to prevent allergy build up, but in cases where an allergy already exists there isnt much choice). Be very careful with packaged baby foods as many have milk in some form or other (even orange flavored baby rice !!)

Soya milk is also sweetened to make it more palatable, general advice is to get the baby onto a cup as soon as possible to protect the erupted teeth or any in the gum.

Last edited:
I agree with ubiquitous, Goats milk. Our youngest had same problem and we were advised to put him on goats milk. Available frozen in tesco. We bought the weeks supply and just thaw out the carton as required. He accepted it no problem in cereals, bottles. Check out the frozen food section in Tesco!

I seem to remember some story about the vegan parents in the UK who were jailed for starving their child by only feeding it soya milk. Ah here is a link. I'm not saying that will happen, but a 1 year olds digestive system may not be able to get enough nourishment from soya milk (vegetable protein is harder to break down, I believe). I would stick to goat's milk and move onto solids as soon as possible (mashed banana, baby rice, that sort of thing (I nearly suggested cheese - which is kind of a stupid thing to say!!)).

edit: just remembered my timings, a 1 year old should already be on solids! Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soya milk is also sweetened to make it more palatable, general advice is to get the baby onto a cup as soon as possible to protect the erupted teeth or any in the gum.

You can get unsweetened soya milk too and it's much nicer. The fresh soya milk also tastes a lot better than UHT.

Thanks for the replies.
We are going to see a dietician next week so will see what they say.

I agree with ubiquitous, Goats milk. Our youngest had same problem and we were advised to put him on goats milk. Available frozen in tesco. We bought the weeks supply and just thaw out the carton as required. He accepted it no problem in cereals, bottles. Check out the frozen food section in Tesco!

Just to clarify, goats milk is now freely available unfrozen.

Thanks for the replies.
We are going to see a dietician next week so will see what they say.

It is worth noting that some dieticians & GPs are very dismissive of the benefits of goats milk. Its still worth a try even if your dietician doesn't think much of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back