12 days short for maternity benefit

kilbird

I am being made redundant and my notice period brings me 12 days short of qualifying for maternity benefit - I will be 22 weeks when my notice period expires. Is there anything I can do?

Can I work for a family member for the 2 weeks or does a job have to be with someone not related? Can I contribute the PRSI myself? Having problems getting thro to the maternity benefit section to ask the questions? Really want to have all the answers before I go into my one to one meeting. Please advise

You may still qualify, Citizen's advice says:

"Leave certification
All employees must have their leave certified by their employer. However, if your contract of employment ends within 16 weeks of your expected date of confinement and you satisfy the social insurance (PRSI) conditions, Maternity Benefit is payable from the day after the date on your P45."

and

"Maternity Benefit is paid by the Department of Social and Family Affairs to women who have a certain number of paid PRSI contributions on their social insurance record and who are in insurable employment up to the first day of their maternity leave. The last day of work can be within 16 weeks of the end of the week your baby is due."

It would also mean that if you were to get work with a family member (relationship to the employer is not an issue), as long as it is insurable, then you would still qualify.

22 weeks is not within 16 weeks of due date, which is the OP's point!

Could you see if your job would extend your notice period for 2 weeks? That would be the simplest thing if possible at all.

Back