10K for 10 years for college savings - anpost?

B

bucks

Hi,
I want to put a lump sum away for 10 years ish for college expenses for my son (now 8). I would prefer to pick something safe with low risk. From my research up to now it seems that an post savings certificates are a good option (at least for the first 5.5 years). Does anybody have an other suggestions? what is the advantages/disadvantes between the certificates and the anpost childplus?
Thanks in advance

'An Post Savings Certificates' are a 5 year 6 months term deposit product with an interest rate of 3.53% AER with no DIRT. 'An Post Child Plus Savings' are a 5 year term deposit product with an interest rate of 3.37% AER with no DIRT. 'An Post Savings Certificates' offer the best buy rate for a long term, term deposit rate.

However, personally, I would not lock for 5 year 6 months, ECB rates are likely to go up over the coming years, and term deposit rates should go up as a consequence. I know you can get out of the 'An Post Savings Certificates' before maturity date at a reduced interest rate, but it might be worth considering a 1 year term deposit (Investec or Anglo) or 2 year term deposit (INBS) and then reviewing your options.

thanks for your advice.Though irish i am non-resident at the moment (living in France) which rules out anglo. Investec I have to ring to confirm this point. The INBS seem to be ok with this however. Not sure why, but everything here hovers from 1,25-1,8 % much lower than the banks there.anyway thanks again, i will likely run with your feedback if its possible

Back