€150k to invest, for a retirement income in 25 years

P

pig-squeezer

I have €150,000 to invest, which I've raised in equity on the value of my house. I’m 41 years old. I've no pension so my purpose is to have an income when I retire, say in 25 years.

I'm seeking advice on where or how to invest the €150k. And any general advice to a novice.

I want to invest in the next few months - what are my next steps?

Pig-Squeezer

Pig squeezer, if you have no pension I recommend you take one out (a PRSA with Quinn Life might be a start). Invest the most you can in the PRSA because it is tax advantaged. With the rest of your money consider investing in a single unit linked policy with a wide range of choices - look at Quinn Life again, Friends First, New Ireland, Irish Life. The important thing then is to invest your entire 150k (the PRSA and the unit linked policy) as one portfolio. Spreading it over more than two products makes this very difficult. Focus on equities, property and hedge funds if available in the PRSA and unit linked policy - do not invest in cash or bonds.

I'd hold out and buy a house in either the UK or Ireland after the markets softens further, then take out a mortgage for the balance and work the tax efficiency....That way, unlike a pension, it can be passed on to your loved ones. It should increase in value, as it has done traditionally in the past. Invest in an interest bearing account for now and be in no panic to act. You have 25 years after all.:)

I'd hold out and buy a house in either the UK or Ireland after the markets softens further, then take out a mortgage for the balance and work the tax efficiency....That way, unlike a pension, it can be passed on to your loved ones. It should increase in value, as it has done traditionally in the past. Invest in an interest bearing account for now and be in no panic to act. You have 25 years after all.:)

The market softening could take some time in my opinion.

Even when it arrives, you will still only get capital appreciation at about 1% above inflation in the long-term. Unless you can get a reasonable yield (7-8% to account for dry spells, maintenance, management fees, entry and exit charges) you would be better off putting your money on deposit.

Equities (through unit-linked funds), in the long-term, outperform property, but things to watch out for are: entry fees, exit fees, management charges etc. etc. etc. Again, in my opinion, the markets are over-valued at the moment, but I am very much in the minority on that one!

If you earn, particularly if you are paying tax at the higher rate, then a pension is a must as with tax savings, you get a 46% discount on purchasing the pension. Maybe use the money to do that over the next few years and see if there is some way you can use up unused credits for previous years.

I have €150,000 to invest, which I've raised in equity on the value of my house.
What do you mean by that? Have you taken out the 150k as a loan?

If so the best use of that 150k would probably be to pay it back. Downsize if you want to free up real assets suitable for investing.

Back