Online banks, how should I get all these verification documentation

T

thesmiler

Hi!
When signing up for accounts online, you normally need to send some verification documentation.

I could get my passport copies certified at the Garda (although they're not really used to doing that - An Post totally refused), but the utility bills etc. make me wonder how I will do that in the future. At the moment I just got the amount needed together but since then, in an effort to save paper and transport costs I:
- signed up for e-Statements with my bank
- signed up for an electronic Bord Gais bill
- signed up to receive my revenue communication online
- signed up to receivee my landline bill online
So the only thing I receive by post is my electrical bill (they don't offer an online service), but nothing else. I also have no cheque book from my bank as I never pay anything by cheque.

Since always original documents are required, I guess printouts from online documents won't do. So very soon I will have problems supplying these "recent" documents required if I want to open a new account.

Does anyone have a solution to that or how do you deal with this?

Does anyone have a solution to that or how do you deal with this?
I'm in a similiar situation (Re most of the items I can recieve online I do) but have yet to have any issues.

I always seem to have a few documents at hand when I require them. Certain things will always be hard copy by their nature (I know I recently used a copy of my vehicle insurance certificate to confirm address - I happened to have it sitting in the car when required).

If you're ever badly stuck, you can easily turn off electronic documents through ROS and request a new P21 (so you'll have a hard copy document from Revenue). This along with your electricity bill should be enough for most requests. (Does anything require more than two utility bills for address verification?)

It all makes be laugh, the banks etc look for a P60 as proof of earnings, but Revenue are replacing there printed P60s (which were easy to get anyway) with this [broken link removed]. So with nothing more than a copy of MS Word and Acrobat we can all...

Towger

Your passport can be used as photo id and your driving licence can be used as address id. You'll still need to get copies certified or risk sending the originals in the post (which I wouldn't advise).

Hope that helps.

Regards,

BM

Your passport can be used as photo id and your driving licence can be used as address id.
I believe most state that the proof of address (some state this as "utility bill", but will accept other formal/official documents with an address) must be dated within the last three months?

Not familiar with the online banking situation, but this is the case for a lot of other scenarios (e.g. mobile phone contract).

What you say is true (can't comment re mobile phone contracts etc) - but from a banking perspective a current driving licence (albeit up to ten years old) suffices for address id. The important word is current.

The initial 3 month date rule on utility bills etc was relaxed out to 6 months.

An interesting one however occurs when one uses their say car or home insurance contract as address id. This may be up to 12 months old - but as long as it's current it suffices.

Re-reading my own post now I seem to be making it complex! - must admit to this day this id documentation does our (bankers) heads in....

Regards,

BM

I recently opened a FA e-saver account, one of the documents I gave them was my car insurance certificate, that should work if you have current car insurance.

Back