Morning Ireland/Áine Lawlor re. Phibsboro -"it isn't exactly Ranelagh"

ClubMan

She was interviewing Christy Burke (SF) about proposed plans for the area including the Joy becoming a hotel and the redevelopment of Dalyer etc. and three (3) times she snidely commented that while Phibsboro was quite a busy and popular place "it isn't exactly Ranelagh". I suppose I should be thankful that she didn't balance this with discussion of the area's bad points. :rolleyes:

Re: Morning Ireland/Áine Lawlor re. Phibsboro

"it isn't exactly Ranelagh".

But a lot of the old houses in Phibs are similar to those in Ranelagh. Both suburbs are from a similar era and are a similar distance from the city. There is a lot of potential for Phibs to become like Ranelagh.

Its strange how things can change quickly. When I was in college, Ranelagh (& its twin Rathmines) was full of run down damp old student bedsits. Many of my classmates who couldnt afford anything better lived in the area. Nowdays, these very same betsit buildings with a bit of renovation have become houses to the rich and famous.

You're missing my point. Why should Phibsboro aim to become like Ranelagh or why should Ranelagh be held up as some sort of archetype for other areas to aspire to? Why not retain and build upon its own character? What's supposed to be so great about Ranelagh anyway? Any time I've been out there it seemed just like any other Dublin "village" relatively proximate to the city centre.

You're missing my point. Why should Phibsboro aim to become like Ranelagh or why should Ranelagh be held up as some sort of archetype for other areas to aspire to? Why not retain and build upon its own character? What's supposed to be so great about Ranelagh? Any time I've been out there it seemed just like any other Dublin "village" relatively proximate to the city centre.

That’s just Northside insecurity coming out ClubMan.

(seriously though, I agree with you)

I suppose I should be thankful that she didn't balance this with discussion of the area's bad points. :rolleyes:

sorry by discussion of the areas bad points do you mean Ranelagh or Phibsboro?

She was interviewing Christy Burke (SF) about proposed plans for the area including the Joy becoming a hotel and the redevelopment of Dalyer etc. and three (3) times she snidely commented that while Phibsboro was quite a busy and popular place "it isn't exactly Ranelagh".

You're free to switch stations

"it isn't exactly Ranelagh".

This is very true.

I suppose I should be thankful that she didn't balance this with discussion of the area's bad points. :rolleyes:

FYI

http://www.rte.ie/about/complaints.html

You're missing my point. Why should Phibsboro aim to become like Ranelagh or why should Ranelagh be held up as some sort of archetype for other areas to aspire to? Why not retain and build upon its own character? What's supposed to be so great about Ranelagh anyway? Any time I've been out there it seemed just like any other Dublin "village" relatively proximate to the city centre.

Point taken. Phibs should have its own identity. Dublin would be a very boring place if everywhere was like Ranelagh.

Rampant paranoia plus overactive memory cells.:D:D

"it isn't exactly Ranelagh"

I don't get her point. I actually think Phibsboro is quite like Ranelagh and that their pros and cons are the same. Both are quite accessible to the city centre but neither, IMHO, are particularly attractive places to live. Too built-up, cramped and untidy looking, predominantly flatland with no apparent "community" feel.

If she's offering Ranelagh as the type of town to which others should aspire, I'm afraid I don't agree.

I guess her "point" is just an expression of arbitrary snobbery really.

Whatever the relative merits of Ranelagh, it seems to me that the impression certainly exists among many that it is a desirable suburb to live in. If this impression is wrong then I suppose it speaks volumes about both her social attitude and her level of journalistic research.

I guess her "point" is just an expression of arbitrary snobbery really.

Whatever the relative merits of Ranelagh, it seems to me that the impression certainly exists among many that it is a desirable suburb to live in. If this impression is wrong then I suppose it speaks volumes about both her social attitude and her level of journalistic research.

Or that she lives in Ranelagh? ;)

Is she from Ranelagh? What did CB say? She's probably never had a need to be in Phibsboro. Maybe she drove up into the car park of the shopping centre and got stuck? (Upper car park has no way out when you drive up into it....backing out is the only option if there are no spaces! lol). Or maybe she's just a stuck up muppet?

She was interviewing Christy Burke (SF) about proposed plans for the area including the Joy becoming a hotel and the redevelopment of Dalyer etc. and three (3) times she snidely commented that while Phibsboro was quite a busy and popular place "it isn't exactly Ranelagh". I suppose I should be thankful that she didn't balance this with discussion of the area's bad points. :rolleyes:
Obviously an A student in Geography! ;)

Point taken. Phibs should have its own identity. Dublin would be a very boring place if everywhere was like Ranelagh.

There'd be nothing but cafes and resaurants and few really useful shops! (Last count walking down through Ranelagh Village: 53 eating places)

Back