setting up wireless network with BT broadband

seaflower

I have BT broadband that comes throught the phone cable and wanted to use that to set up wireless. Just have few questions before I attemp it, hope you can help:

1. Can anybody recommend a wireless router? I'm going to get it from either PC World, Argos or Maplin, I've looked at few but not sure which one to go for.

There was a Netgear one in Dixons - 108MBps, no idea how fast is the current broadband connection (and don't want to be on the phone to BT for 3 hours trying to figure it out!). Does that one sound OK? Amnybody used it and are you happy with it?

2. Can two computers share the same wireless network (both browsing the web, for example). I know it will slow down the speed but this doesn't bother me.

3. Can I set up a wireless home network using the same router or do I need something else (want to be able to remotely access the different computer's hard drives)

4. Any good links to how to secure it once it is set up?

Thanks again!

Didn't the broadband modem come with a wireless router? I would have thought all came with one now, but I haven't set up broadband for anyone for a while.

1. Can anybody recommend a wireless router? I'm going to get it from either PC World, Argos or Maplin, I've looked at few but not sure which one to go for.

My preferred makes for home use are Netgear, Linksys and Zyxel. I find these to be the most reliable and easiest to set up.

There was a Netgear one in Dixons - 108MBps, no idea how fast is the current broadband connection (and don't want to be on the phone to BT for 3 hours trying to figure it out!). Does that one sound OK? Amnybody used it and are you happy with it?

Don't know which one you are referring to, but I'm sure it would be OK. The speed of the wireless network and the speed of your broadband are not interdependent.

2. Can two computers share the same wireless network (both browsing the web, for example). I know it will slow down the speed but this doesn't bother me.

Yes.

3. Can I set up a wireless home network using the same router or do I need something else (want to be able to remotely access the different computer's hard drives)

Once you have a wireless network set up and both machines are able to access it, you can do everything with it that you could with a wired network so sharing data between machines will be possible. By remote access do you mean you want to access the data on one machine while at the other when you're at home, or you want to be able to access the data when away from home? The first is straight forward, the latter not so and needs some carefully planning and set up.

4. Any good links to how to secure it once it is set up?

No, but it's usually 'plug and play' to get going. Just use the network cable from your broadband modem and plug it in to the wireless router and you be up and going. Mind you the device will usually some configured to work in a non-secure fashion such that anyone with a wireless network card will be able to use your broadband connection. Spend some time having a read through the manual that comes with the device and configure security on the device.

You have to pay a few euro to BT for their wireless router (BT Voyager 2110). This is the one I'm using and its fine - has support for WPA2 (PSK) encryption.
If your buying one yourself, you may wish to consider buying the newer standard wireless gear (802.11n) - which has increased range and much higher transfer rate. If you think you could benefit from an improved range or your likely to be streaming video, it could be worth the investment (this kit is 3x as expensive).
Google/wikipedia 802.11n for more info.

Thank you Dearg Doom and serotoninsid for the replies!

Don't know which one you are referring to, but I'm sure it would be OK. The speed of the wireless network and the speed of your broadband are not interdependent.
Not sure I understand this - do you mean my Internet speed using the wireless is not going to suffer if I get a wireless router with lower speed? What does their speed refer to then?

I'm still not 100% sure which one to go for, when I googled them and checked their webpage there are about 10 types Netgear 108mbps... will ask in the shop although my previous experience with their advice wasn't too great.

You have to pay a few euro to BT for their wireless router (BT Voyager 2110). This is the one I'm using and its fine - has support for WPA2 (PSK) encryption.
If your buying one yourself, you may wish to consider buying the newer standard wireless gear (802.11n) - which has increased range and much higher transfer rate. If you think you could benefit from an improved range or your likely to be streaming video, it could be worth the investment (this kit is 3x as expensive).
Google/wikipedia 802.11n for more info.

Bearing in mind the wireless card or dongle would have to be N standard compatible , probably in the (this kit is 3x as expensive) price though

Thank you Dearg Doom and serotoninsid for the replies!

Not sure I understand this - do you mean my Internet speed using the wireless is not going to suffer if I get a wireless router with lower speed? What does their speed refer to then?

I'm still not 100% sure which one to go for, when I googled them and checked their webpage there are about 10 types Netgear 108mbps... will ask in the shop although my previous experience with their advice wasn't too great.
Hi seaflower, what s/he means is that there are two speeds:
1. Your broadband connection speed that comes in the phone line to your wireless router.
2. Your wireless router speed from the router to the PC.

The routers you are looking at are 108mb (speed between PC and router). Your BT broadband connection is probably the BT standard (2mb is it?). So the router you are looking at talks to/from your pc at way above the speed of your internet connection. This may seem like a total waste, but basically it is what the latest standard (802.11g, although the one you are looking at may be 802.11n from the speed of it) does. You pretty much always end up getting the latest or next to latest standard whether you want it or not! So the router is perfectly fine for your connection from a speed point of view.

You can have up to 250-something PCs connected to most decent wireless systems. The chances are with two computers connected, you won't notice and slowdown (most of the time the internet appears to be slow, it is because it is busy way beyond your connection to BT. Think of it like a road network - if you live in Tullamore, the only time the traffic jams on the M50 bother you is if you try and get to somewhere in Dublin. The internet is the same. Each site you visit in internet explorer has an address and reaching it involves going along various roads, some of which have a certain capacity, some of which are popular, some of which have grass growing in the middle etc.).

Yes, you can set up a wireless home network with a router. I have found this tricky to do, but mainly (I hope) that is down to shortage of time! (I still haven't got it working, but I only gave it two short goes!).

The instructions with most modems are quite good for setting up security features.

Are you connecting to laptops or desktops? Do they already have wireless cards in them? If not, you will need to buy some kind of wireless receiver for the PC. I use the USB stick ones and find them fine (and cheap!).

HTH (and does not appear patronising - it was not intended to be!).

Thank you!

The routers you are looking at are 108mb (speed between PC and router). Your BT broadband connection is probably the BT standard (2mb is it?).
I never knew what the "standard" (BT) connection speed is :eek: Thought it is way faster than that, hence my confusion... It makes sense now! (in fact the more I think about it the more obvious it is and should have realised it myself... *embarrased*)

Will give it a go this week and see how I manage.

I've tried a number of them and none of them 'worked' straight from the box except the BT Voyager... At €45 it is good value (and will save you a lot of time...) Once you are up and running you could try others (Argos return policy on SOME hardware means you can return it if it doesn't work for you!).

and don't want to be on the phone to BT for 3 hours trying to figure it out!

Depending on who you get through to, if you don't use the Voyager, you will get some assistance or be told that "...it isn't their modem - you are on your own..."

Yes two can and it won't slow it down noticabily.

Possible, yes! Can you...?:)

I went to few shops today asking the assistants for advice and all three guys told me different things (one said I do need an adaptor for the laptops (although they have wireless card?); the other said I need a modem+router as my existing modem won't work with a different router plugged in it; and the last said I need only router - which is what I understood from there).

I got it from the last place and they assured me I can bring it back if it doesn't work (the first two said I can't unless faulty - which was my whole idea of getting it from a shop instead of online!)

It is "Belkin Wireless G router and wireless G USB adapter" 802.11g. I haven't opened it yet, will try and set it up tonight.

Just wanted the reassurance that this thing is what I need and will work with BT broadband (I know it shouldn't matter but still)

I'm now officially wireless :) It was pretty straight-forward (few tiny problems but Google is my best friend)

Thank you all!

Now just need to make sure the connection is secure. Any good links about that? How can I set up the router so only the three machines I want will be able to log in to the network?

And another thing - when I list all wireless networks available, I get several of them - one is mine (shows as secure). There is also an unsecure one belkin54g which was the default name suggested during the installation, the signal of this one is very weak. Any chance this also could be mine? (there was a mention of guess access during the security set up but I went a different route).

I'm now officially wireless :) It was pretty straight-forward (few tiny problems but Google is my best friend)

Thank you all!

Now just need to make sure the connection is secure. Any good links about that? How can I set up the router so only the three machines I want will be able to log in to the network?

And another thing - when I list all wireless networks available, I get several of them - one is mine (shows as secure). There is also an unsecure one belkin54g which was the default name suggested during the installation, the signal of this one is very weak. Any chance this also could be mine? (there was a mention of guess access during the security set up but I went a different route).
Super, well done.

[broken link removed] seems to cover most of the security bases (if not in a large amount of detail - but you've already proved yourself a google whiz!). As it points out, change all default settings and passwords, use WPA security if your router has it, and disable remote administration are the basic steps you should take. Removing broadcase SSID and specific MAC addresses are a little extreme for a home network, IMO, but you can do them if you like!

I would say you have a neighbour also with a belkin wireless modem who just did the default setup and is now letting anyone use his broadband access. Makes you wonder why you bother to pay for it when you could just use his! Unless you have a very sophisticated router it can only broadcast one wireless network, so if you recognise your own network, anything else belongs to someone else.

Thanks yoganmahew, just changed the default passwords, already using WPA (128) no remote access and figured out how to filter the addresses (it was in the settings - duh!)

Will look at the link you posted! Better go and do some actual work now :)

Back