Revenue final tax demand

contemporary

Got a final tax demand in from the Reveune for year 2003, I underpaid my P35 by €1. If I dont pay within seven days they will refer me to the sherrif to recover the amount.......At 55 cent a letter not to mention the envelope, the cost of the paper or the civil servants time to refer this to the sherrif, nice to see our tax euro spent well

unless I am mistaken stamps are legal tender. Send them two stamps, then claim your refund.

A nice big bag of 1cent coins - I think might be in order.. and make sure you get a receipt!:)

If I remember correctly when I used to work in Practice, most Tax assessments said thats amounts of less than €5 were treated as paid. I don't think this has changed. I'd say ring them and see what they say

Hjredd

You're right, all amounts less than 5 euro are treated as paid.

I too got letters like that over amounts less than €1. 0.58c I think was one, it prevented me getting a tax clearance cert 2 years ago until I paid it.

Joking aside, I'd make sure you sort it out.

If they do call the sherrif in, you'll be faced with significant costs which you won't be able to get out of, no matter how idiotic it seems.

Go into their office and pay it in coppers ;)

I know you're half-joking, but unfortunately its actually not possible to pay in cash anymore...

"In the Interest of Your Safety* and that of Revenue Staff Revenue will no longer accept cash in payment of taxes and duties at public offices Effective from 5 February 2007"
[broken link removed]

* in order to cut staff numbers

Can they legally do this? Are they not obliged to accept cash as it's legal tender (in the correct denominatons)?

Back