Living in Shanakiel Cork.

ajapale

This thread in "Location Location Location" is for discussing the pros and cons of buying and living in the Shanakiel area of Cork.

In my opinion one of the very nicest parts of Cork (Shanakiel / Sunday's Well). Quiet, green, close to the city. Not packed full of overcrowded new estates as became the fate of Rochestown.

depends are you talking about the huge estate or older Shanak?
the traffic is as bad as the Rochestown road at times and with the new housing estate it will get worse. there is a bus service though and it is walking distance to UCC and city centre.

What part of Shanakiel? The newer parts advertised as Shanakiel are really around Knocknaheeney....developer license etc

- I thought it was more Hollyhill thank Knocka. not sure if there is much of a difference though.

I meant 'old' Shanakiel. Although I wasn't really aware there was a new one until quite recently. Have seen houses on Blarney street / Hollyhill advertised as such. Like calling Mahon Blackrock really.

Shanakiel .....ahh so close to the banks. The shakey bridge and memories of kicking leaves in Autumn in the Mardyke.

It gets a 9/10 for me as parking is an issue.

My parents have lived in Shanakiel for about 30 years (near Shanakiel Hospital so the "old" part).

Traffic can be bad at peak time heading down to Sunday's Well Rd. Sometimes it's backed up from the Western Road as far as the junction with Shanakiel. Agree that parking is bit of a problem. Around Shanakiel Hospital is free parking so you tend to get a lot of commuters / students parking there. It's walking distance to town and UCC.

Some of the older houses can have a warren of pokey rooms unless they've been renovated

Overall I think it's a very nice area to live.

My parents have lived in Shanakiel for about 30 years (near Shanakiel Hospital so the "old" part).

Traffic can be bad at peak time heading down to Sunday's Well Rd. Sometimes it's backed up from the Western Road as far as the junction with Shanakiel. Agree that parking is bit of a problem. Around Shanakiel Hospital is free parking so you tend to get a lot of commuters / students parking there. It's walking distance to town and UCC.

Some of the older houses can have a warren of pokey rooms unless they've been renovated

Overall I think it's a very nice area to live.

Ah but have you seen the huge housing estate just up the hill belhind the other hospital? it will have to make the traffic bad as it is already bad from Blarney etc.
As for kicking leaves in the Mardyke - how about crawling up Strawberry hill or that other road back up to "new Shanakiel"??

The new affordable housing estate Ard Sionnach is in Shanakiel. This development is carried out by City Council and Fleming construction.

Their are 2 other housing schemes being carried out in the area by Colemans and some other builder. Both of these are onto the Blarney Road.

Back