Recently bought Dell Laptop ? Remove unwanted software

euroDilbert

Just found this link - it helps to remove all the unwanted software which Dell pre-install on their laptops.

Haven't yet tried it myself, but looks good.

[broken link removed]

Thanks, It took me ages to get rid of all Dell's preinstalled junkware and teaseware.

Im buying a Dell laptop for a friend, Im thinking of specifying "no junkware", I post here how I get on.

I usually just remove/replace the Dell stuff manually but anything trustworthy and reliable that helps automate this and is to be welcomed!

The PC Decrapifier is free for personal use, however if you use this program for commercial purposes, you will require a commercial license. The cost is $20 per “technician” (not per PC), which I think is really a bargain considering how much time you can save by using this program. Right now, this is completely on the honor system. There is now key to “unlock” anything limit number of uses. I really don’t want to have to mess with that. The download is the same for personal vs. commercial. As this product matures, I will attempt to give additional benefits to the commercial users.

I used the de-crapifier on a recent Dell laptop I purchased. It worked fine. Useful for removing tricky software like McAfee, where the individual components have to be removed in a particular order ideally.

ma and da just got a dell. did notice a lot of crap installed with reminders to register or buy every time you switched on. will tell them about this.

Just found this link - it helps to remove all the unwanted software which Dell pre-install on their laptops.

Haven't yet tried it myself, but looks good.

[broken link removed]

Have run the decrapifier specifying McAfee Security to be deleted. However when I reboot it still remains. What am I doing wrong. Seems straightforward enough to run. My reading is that it is not vista compatible yet. Any suggestions on alternatives to remove McAfee. Not knowlegeable enough to remove all files manually.

Thanks. Other half trying it as I write. The new Dell laptop that arrived last week was nearly thrown out the window on the first day with frustration at all the dialogs popping up relating to software we didn't want in the first place!

Any suggestions on alternatives to remove McAfee. Not knowlegeable enough to remove all files manually.
Don't remove anything manually! Can you not simply run the McAfee uninstaller or choose the removal option from Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it might be called in Vista)?

Back