Sky+ - need landline ?

AJC

I've been thinking of getting a skyplus box - the current deal is reasonably attractive.

I have a landline in the house, though not near my TV.

I believe that the sky+ box needs to be connected to a phone line. Does anyone know how long for ? I could string a telephone extension line across my kitchen if it was only needed for a day or two.

I don't expect to be subscribing for any pay per view channels as such

I don't think you need a phone line for a lone Sky box connection anymore (I'm open to correction on this)-Sky will let you leave it unconnected for a once-off fee.

You do need to connect to a phone line if you have multi-room.

got sky plus in the other week. The engineer said he didnt have any phone cable with him. I had an extra long line that just about reached but meant having the tv nealry out the door of the sitting room. I said I'd lay some cable later that day. He said 'are you saure' I said 'em, yes of course'. They need it at first to activate the box. After that you can unplug it. You may get a letter at some stage to ask you to put it back in though. But thats just so that they iknow its not being used in a different location such as a pub or something.

We had Sky+ with multi-room installed by a engineer sent out by Sky in August '05, he connected both boxes to the phone line.

However, since July this year Sky have written to us three times telling us our boxes are not connected to our phone line or "that they are not all providing the same telephone number when they communicate with them"

We have phoned them numerous times (each time explaining to a different person). We received our last letter from them on Thursday last informing us "under the terms of our Sky Multiroom contract we had agreed to keep all Sky boxes connected to the same phone line and number and as we haven't done this our entitlement to Sky Multiroom has been lost". They go on to say they are going to charge us an extra €39.97 per month for the additional Sky box, to take effect from our next billing.

We are absoutely furious about this, we have one phone line with one telephone number which we've had for years!
I have informed them if they do'nt get it sorted we will cancel our subscription, this is not of our making!

Has anyone else had this problem?

AJC, same experience as rkeane for me. Phone line was on the other side of the house, so after the engineer hooked up Sky +, he was about to charge me extra because of the distance. So I asked the obvious question..."Eh, do I need to be connected to a phone line"....to which he answered..."nah, not really". So I didn't bother. You do need it for pay per view channels though, but if you never intend using those, then don't worry about it. Gypsy girl sounds like she's got worse problems!

I've had the same problem as Gypsygirl. I too have has the letters telling me to reconnect or i'd lose the subsidised charge on sky+

Now the thing is that both my boxes have been conected all the time (i have multiroom) so they can pi$$ off cos i've tried calling them to tell them of this and have been on hold for over half an hour. Grandted i haven't received any letters in a while.

If you go for Sky + with multiroom you do have to have your phoneline connected at all times or you'll be hit with an increased charge.

The good thing though is that you can get wireless transmittters that turns any electrical socket into a phone port which is ideal for you sky boxes. It means you do not have to run wires all around you house. I have this option and its super!! It was actually the sky installer that put me onto these. These can be bought in maplin.

I disconnected my Sky+ multiroom due to these annoying letters. On the first occasion when I rang customer services (which is no longer freephone) I was asked to change the dial out number on my box and on the second occasion it was the filter on my broadband that was causing problem. They sent out an engineer to check it and when I tried to cancel after he left they offered me 3 months free. I have so much time now I'm not glued to that box I get loads of things done since it went and I don't miss much as I still have RTE 1, 2 and the freeview channels on Sky.

Yeah same thing happened to me. We moved our second sky box to a different room without phone line (first box is connected to line) and I started getting the letters.
I had to move the second box back to the original room or the price of the package goes up. Reckon they must test the phoneline every week to see if you are connected and if not you get the letter.

As stated in my previous post, both boxes are and always have been connected to the phone line (they have never been disconnected) since Sky engineer installed last year.

However, Sky continue to send the letters telling us our boxes are not connected to the phone line. After many phone calls (waiting on hold each time) they told us it was because we are ex directory and the problem would be solved if we were in the directory, what rubbish!

They have told us from next billing they are charging us an extra €39.97 per month for breaking our contract? :mad: After threatening to cancel our subscription they agreed to send an engineer out tomorrow to check if ther's a fault with the Sky+ box......I'll keep you posted.

strange i never get these letters and its both boxes are hardly ever connected to the phone line. The difference might be that I occasaionally buy pay per view matches which i do through the phone line.

I've been thinking of getting a skyplus box - the current deal is reasonably attractive.

I have a landline in the house, though not near my TV.

I believe that the sky+ box needs to be connected to a phone line. Does anyone know how long for ? I could string a telephone extension line across my kitchen if it was only needed for a day or two.

I don't expect to be subscribing for any pay per view channels as such

You only need the PL in the box to rgister the service then you can take it out again.
Although you will need it if you want to go 'interactive' I.E. voting, sending e-mails and so on. (i think you can sent e-mails but i'm not 100%)...:)

I've had the same problem as Gypsygirl. I too have has the letters telling me to reconnect or i'd lose the subsidised charge on sky+

Now the thing is that both my boxes have been conected all the time (i have multiroom) so they can pi$$ off cos i've tried calling them to tell them of this and have been on hold for over half an hour. Grandted i haven't received any letters in a while.

If you go for Sky + with multiroom you do have to have your phoneline connected at all times or you'll be hit with an increased charge.

The good thing though is that you can get wireless transmittters that turns any electrical socket into a phone port which is ideal for you sky boxes. It means you do not have to run wires all around you house. I have this option and its super!! It was actually the sky installer that put me onto these. These can be bought in maplin.

One of these [broken link removed]

I have one too and can confirm that it works.

Seriously I'd not bother with Sky they rip you off, just get a higher band/w for you internet connection and DL your movies or programmes there.

My mum has been trying to unsubscibe from Sky for about 3 months now.
When you ring up and tell them that you want to discontinue the package they first tell you to hold, ten after about 30 mins they have the neck to tangent off the subject and try to persuade you to buy a cheaper package.

After my mum rang to cancel sky, they told her ''OK youre officially stopped next month. But nexth month came and so did the bill and the next month, It finally stoped after 3 & 1/2 months.:mad:

It's really not worth it the only ppl who would like it are small children, naturally as they don't deal with bills..:rolleyes:

I thought I was connected but when I went to services , system set up and then system test it said telephone line not connected. I took out the jack and reinserted it and ran the system test again and it showed telephone line connected. Must have been a loose connection. Thankfully no more letters.

I got the sky+ mutiroom installed about 3 months ago. The installer connected the sky+ box to the telephone but not the other box. He rang them on his mobile to activate. I told him that I would probably disconnect the tel. extension lead and he said it should be OK but that I would get letters now and then but just plug the lead back in again and perform the call back thingy and diconnect again.

In fact he told me that he has a digibox which he give to a family friend. Every time the letter comes from sky he simply brings the box to his own house and connects it to the telephone for 10 minutes and then takes it back to the other house again.

I got the first letter last week from sky and then connected the telephone lead to the boxes individually and followed the instructions. After that I disconnected again.

In light of previous posts I dont know how long it will be before I get another letter.

Back